Are you Crafty ??

• 1184 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Are you Crafty ??
« Reply #1050 on: June 11, 2016, 23:44 »
I use a thread conditioner.  I'll find you a link.
I was going to say Thread Heaven  ;)
Brilliant stuff  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1051 on: June 12, 2016, 11:00 »
It's great stuff. I'd not be without it now  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1052 on: June 14, 2016, 19:06 »
I've been plodding on with an embroidery piece, but its slow going.  Partly because it is fiddly stuff and partly because I am not a patient person and have to be in the mood for it  ::)

Anyway, it is a garden scene that is sort of realistic, but also with a bit of artistic license to give a nice result in the frame it is eventually going in.

The main features go in - wisteria hanging over a daphne and flowering cherry shrub

Then they are completed and some of the smaller plants go in.  I still have to put the leaves on the forget-me-nots.

Give me another 6 months and you may see it finished in its frame  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #1053 on: June 14, 2016, 21:50 »
That's going to be lovely Newshoot😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

chrissie B

« Reply #1054 on: June 16, 2016, 12:55 »
That looks lovley carnt wait to see end result, i have some old stuff from aunty doris , some shes started , theres 2 table cloths i would like to give them a wash first but im afraid i would loose the pattern .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1055 on: June 16, 2016, 16:07 »
That's very nice NS  :D

Asherweef

« Reply #1056 on: July 10, 2016, 15:50 »
Hi all,

Think this is my first post in this thread; our house is filled with craft related paraphernalia as my girlfriend loves to quilt, block print etc.

She is also learning to knit after we bought the first copy of a knitting magazine (you know the 99p introduction with a couple of needles and a couple of balls of wool). However, I seem to have outstripped here here and am knitting a bit more voraciously. That being said I have still only made two simple scarfs (normal stitches) and a big pouffe-esque pillow. I would like to learn some more techniques (I am only just learning how to purl but it doesn't look right!). What would you recommend to improve my skills and knowledge? I think that I would like to be able to knit some socks...

Incidentally my girlfriend hs just started to stockpile dressmaking bits and pieces along with some fabric for the summer break (she's training to be a teacher) so any good ideas on cheap bits she might need would be welcome.  :D

Any advice or info would be appreciated - I'm spending some time on youtube learning how to purl. I know that sounds stupid as it's a simple process but it just doesn't seem right so I keep re-starting my knit! Her grandfather has Alzheimer's/Dementia so we will also be knitting a patchwork blanket for him with different textures - these patches would be ideal to learn new knits.

chrissie B

« Reply #1057 on: July 11, 2016, 13:11 »
Hi asherweef if your not happy with what you knitted its no harm to pull it out , i tryed many years ago to show my daughter how to knit squares for a blanket i had to stop for the sake of my own sanity , i had to cut the stitched from the needle as she got tighter and tighter as she knitted, i suggested a different hobby shes good at sketching and liked to do caractures.
chrissie b

Willow_Warren

« Reply #1058 on: July 16, 2016, 16:46 »
 image by Willow_Warren, on Flickr

I showed a few in progress photos of this, but finally finished it a few weeks back! Now I just need to take it to the framers  :lol:

I'm not very creative but I enjoy crafting, which is why I like cross stitch, tells you exactly what to do with so free styling!

Hannah  :D

chrissie B

« Reply #1059 on: July 16, 2016, 18:43 »
Lovley work there willow -warren im the libra .
chrissie b

Kate58

« Reply #1060 on: July 23, 2016, 10:14 »
Hi Asherweef - Good for you learning to knit.  YouTube is a great way to find out how to knit but sometimes the people demonstrating can go a little too fast.  One good way would be to go to your local library and you should find that they will have a wide range of knitting books - many aimed at the complete beginner.  Up to date ones have lots of diagrams and simple explanations. Knitty Gritty - for the absolute beginner by Aneeta Patel for instance is very good.  We have a 'Knit and Natter' at our local library and some knitting wool shops have them too.  You could make inquiries and I am sure if you pop along to one someone there should be able to help.

Asherweef

« Reply #1061 on: July 24, 2016, 10:12 »
Hi Asherweef - Good for you learning to knit.  YouTube is a great way to find out how to knit but sometimes the people demonstrating can go a little too fast.  One good way would be to go to your local library and you should find that they will have a wide range of knitting books - many aimed at the complete beginner.  Up to date ones have lots of diagrams and simple explanations. Knitty Gritty - for the absolute beginner by Aneeta Patel for instance is very good.  We have a 'Knit and Natter' at our local library and some knitting wool shops have them too.  You could make inquiries and I am sure if you pop along to one someone there should be able to help.

Thanks Kate - I have considered Knitty Gritty. Any good?

I'm currently working my way through my first sock :)

Kate58

« Reply #1062 on: July 24, 2016, 18:31 »
Hi Asherweef - it is a really good book.  One of our beginner ladies has used it and has found it very helpful - easy to understand and plenty of pictures.  I can highly recommend it.  I made myself a pair of socks but the youngest daughter decided they would be of more use to her!  I am on my second pair at the moment and I find it very relaxing just going round and round.  I like to use four needles as I can't get my head around using a circular with a 'magic loop'.  Good luck with your socks hope they fit when you have done :D

chrissie B

« Reply #1063 on: July 28, 2016, 08:41 »
Ive finished my cruise pic did it on my holls last year which was a cruise !ive got a frame i enjoyed doing it .
chrissie b
1469691640223.jpg

Goosegirl

« Reply #1064 on: September 14, 2016, 16:19 »
I'm currently doing some cross-stitch but want to know how to gently wash and dry it before being framed.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 51 queries.