Red Carnations

• 3 Replies

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
Red Carnations
« on: July 09, 2016, 08:08 »
Whilst in Sainsbury's about 2 years ago I spotted a bunch of long stem carnations so I bought a bunch for my wife. When they had finished I put them in a bit of compost (like my mom used to do) and they grew back, and got taller and taller, they now grow up canes. 4ft they get to then flower, in the green house.  The outside ones fell over and never tried to flower, just tried to get taller, then fall over again. So I will grow these up canes too

I tried them as cut flowers but they don't last long so have brought the pot into our conservatory and we have long lasting red flowers on 4ft stems, growing in the corner :lol:

Are these a special variety?

rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Red Carnations
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 09:03 »
They will have been bred for the cut flower market, to be grown under glass. Carnations do usually need canes for their flower stems, though.

Info on types and lots to chose from here.......
http://www.allwoods.net/category-s/120.htm

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 09:08 »
My wife had some carnations and there were quite a few non-flowering shoots so I took a some for cuttings. No idea what variety but something for nothing and another little project.

mrsbean

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 11:52 »
I took none flowering shoots a few years ago. Planted them out last year. They are still flowering even through the winter some flowers do not open they smell lovely. Done the same this year they are in pots ready to flower. First ones are white not sure of these. Yes great when you get something for nothing.

xx
Carnations Red Fenbow

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 22:30
by sclarke624
xx
Carnations from seed???

Started by loopylottie on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 19:00
by sion01

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 39 queries.