Can I make compost with just cuttings

• 8 Replies

Jasper1

Can I make compost with just cuttings
« on: July 03, 2011, 14:06 »
I have cut the lawn and have filled the green wheelie bin with grass cuttings and I was wondering if I could use the cuttings to make compost. I have 2 plastic compost bins with a trap door at the bottom and a plastic compost tumbler. The problem is I don't have much to put in them.
I have very little kitchen waste and most of the leaves in the garden are laurel which don't rot down very well. I have got a wormery and have tried several times to make compost without success as I do not have enough to fill it.   

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Can I make compost with just cuttings
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 16:09 »
No, grass alone won't make compost. You need a good mix of different materials. Here is the RHS advice on the subject. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 18:02 »
If you or your OH work out, then do as others have done - ask for used teabags to be saved, same with coffee grounds and filters. Shredded newspapers/office material (ask first on the latter) will add 'brown' matter. You could even ask at specialty coffee shops for their spent coffee grounds and filters. Same with fruit markets or grocery shops at the veg area; often they'll have trimmings they're glad to give away if you ask (never steal from bins).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 19:24 »
shred newpapers and tear up as many cardboard boxes (ones with shiney printed coating don't rot very well though :() as you can find for browns to mix with the grass clippings.
Also add toilet & kitchen roll insides :)

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 22:35 »
I have cut the lawn and have filled the green wheelie bin with grass cuttings and I was wondering if I could use the cuttings to make compost.
Yes you can.

We have loads and loads of lawn and make brilliant compost, by layering it scrunched up with newspapers and any shredded paper we have, as well as torn up cardboard boxes we just happen to find in shops.

We also have a Laurel hedge, we shred the leaves with the lawnmower and add them to the compost. Laurel is poisonous by the way, contains cyanide (the leaves were used in insect killing jars) so don't try using a proper shredder when it's freshly cut unless you wear a face mask etc., and don't carry a carload of fresh hedge clippings to the dump without keeping the windows open, otherwise it'll make you drowsy. As far as I know the cyanide biodegrades, because we have plants growing alongside the hedge without any problems and birds often successfully nest in it too.

This might help, in addition to the RHS link you've already been given. It's the "Garden Organic" site Home Composting
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 22:38 by Endymion »

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 07:47 »
I was hoping to make good compost from just horse manure (no bedding or straw just manure) and was concerened that it didnt seem to be doind alot when i turned it, it seemed very cold when i was hoping it would be hot.
I ended up getting another compost bin and gradually adding the manure as im adding alot more browns.

It would seem that making good compost is an real art lol.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 12:49 »
No!  The fun thing about composting is that it takes things like banana peels, tea bags, egg shells, torn up food product boxes, toilet roll centers, All that light cardboard makes a wonderful humous.  You will be amazed how little you have in your bins once you start composting properly!  Don't be afraid to let it open to the rain either.  It needs moisture to cook!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 22:58 »
 i compost loads of stuff but still get the peelings off me daughter when we have dinner there maybe your next door people wold give you theirs , saves their bin getting smelly . chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 11:26 »
I just love composting.  We have a robin that comes to root for bugs in ours when we take the lid off for rain.  It's amazing how many tea bags a work place can go through and the worms in the compost just love them.  They are a nice stimulate for the cooking process too and texture to the compost.

xx
Cuttings - how do you do yours?

Started by dmg on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2014, 16:15
by Fairy Plotmother
xx
Cuttings

Started by Antonius on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 18:30
by Antonius
xx
cuttings outside

Started by viettaclark on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 17:01
by viettaclark
xx
cuttings!! what next??

Started by starry on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 15:10
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 40 queries.