My new hen house and run

• 8 Replies

carolbriar

My new hen house and run
« on: August 18, 2014, 19:40 »
I have just finished our new hen house and run.  The house was block built and is 10'x8'.  The area inside can be split if needed.  It means that if I get new girls or have a broody on eggs, they will be able to see each other but not get together.  There are two pop holes, spaced apart on the back wall.  These lead into a shelter which is also large.  It means they have a totally dry area and the food and water are in there as well.  There is a door and a pull up entrance at the side of the shelter.  The run itself is about 12 metres square.  I have 8 hens at the moment so there is plenty of room for them all.  I still have to put some different items in the run for them, ie, different heights etc and possibly a small tree.  Around the bottom of the outer fence is two runs of electric wire and one run of wire along the top.  I have called it Cluckingham Palace, named after a sign I once saw! 
image.jpg
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Snoop

Re: My new hen house and run
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 19:57 »
Looks and sounds fantastic. Bet you'll have some happy birds. Congratulations.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 20:15 »
Thank you.  I have had my poor girls in a run which was getting very wet underfoot (acidic soil) and the house was too small.  When looking at buying a house they were very expensive for what they were and a joiner suggested building one with blocks.  The new run area is much better soil and drains very well so for once the hens have more insects, worms etc to scratch around for and no longer get wet feet from standing in puddles.  So far it is working very well!  The hens seem very happy. 

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 09:26 »
I agree with you about the price of hen houses. For what they are, they seem extremely expensive to me.

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 10:01 »
We were having an outbuilding built so the hen house was made at the same time which kept costs down.  If I ever stop having hens, highly unlikely, the house could be used as a shed.  I will take photos of my nest boxes as I think they are great. Mi have used small cat litter trays with a frame around them which they sit on and then sides.  3 on one unit and two on another. 

carolbriar

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 15:54 »
These are the nest boxes.  Easy to clean and handy to move around. 
image.jpg

brookieme

• Animal Farm and loving it
    • honeysucklecottage
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 16:52 »
Well done you. Looks great and the chicken in her nesting box looks very happy.
You have a lot of space by the looks of it. Can they roam free?
Sue in France :)

carolbriar

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 17:36 »
The run is about 12 metres square, perhaps slightly bigger.  They have only been in there a week so haven't let them out yet.  They used to have some free range time but their old run is still up about 30 feet from the new one.  It's due to be taken down next week so will let them out after that.  I didn't want to confuse them.  They do have plenty of space - I made it large enough so I could get more hens if I wanted to!

barley

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 20:52 »
very impressive  ;)

xx
play house to hen house

Started by Catsmuvva on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 10:03
by ANHBUC
xx
Hen House

Started by francais on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 21:47
by francais
xx
New hen house

Started by billathome65 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 23:14
by billathome65
xx
Hen house

Started by Geo on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post February 19, 2015, 22:36
by Geo

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 36 queries.