male or female silkies

• 4 Replies

mandarincloth

male or female silkies
« on: October 20, 2010, 22:11 »
hi all ive had my silkies for about 4 months and they were approx 9 weeks old. these are the first chickens ive kept. can anyone tell me from the pics weather they are hens or cocks? 2 look very different from the other 2.

here is a link to the photos please comment under the pictures thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52687151@N08/
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 23:11 by mandarincloth »

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
Re: male of female silkies
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 22:27 »
Looks pretty obvious to me! The ones with the large combs and wattles look like cocks, the ones with big fluffy pom poms look like girls. (I have been wrong in the past though!).
Steve

mandarincloth

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 22:34 »
Looks pretty obvious to me! The ones with the large combs and wattles look like cocks, the ones with big fluffy pom poms look like girls. (I have been wrong in the past though!).
Steve

thanks for the reply steve.  ive been told that silkies have like a ball on top of there beak. plus ive not heard a cock a doodle doo? after i had them a few weeks i thought it was obvious too but when i asked the breeder he said it was to early to say ( if they are he will swap them for hens) i really dont know?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 22:41 »
I would say the pom poms are defo girls, but not sure about the others.  I have 3 Gold Silkie boys (Klaus and his 2 sons) and they have HUGE round combs.  Looks quite painful actually!  :D

I'll see what pics I've got for comparison.  but I think different silkies have different heads and combs.  My 2 white hens don't have pom poms, but the cuckoo hen does have a frizzy hairdo! :D

Mmmm can't find a decent one of Fluffy the Cuckoo hen
Rosa and Bella (360 x 270).jpg
klaus (360 x 270).jpg

francais

• Experienced Member
Re: male or female silkies
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 18:26 »
Not sure if this is the norm, but as for the crowing, my boy didn't start to cow for Months! He was hatched in May this year and only started crowing 2 weeks ago!
Toni

xx
Silkies...

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 20:14
by themagicaltoad1
xx
wanted female mallard ducks

Started by chris999666 on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post November 14, 2013, 06:54
by chris999666

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 39 queries.