hot water bottles???

• 13 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
hot water bottles???
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:50 »
My missus has decided to start putting hot water bottles in her guinea pig hutch to keep them warm. I say it's over the top the hutch is already an egglu so it's insulated and guinea pigs don't have hot water bottles in the wild. does anyone giv there chicken a hot waterbottlle. I mean is it normal and am I to hard. I just don't get it. There has to be a line when you say No it's an animal they don't need it.  any thoughts. 
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: hot water bottles???
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 09:54 »
I'd agree with you Wolverine.  As long as the housing is dry and ventilated but not drafty, both chickens and guinea pigs should be fine.  Some chickens will roost up trees year round given half a chance  :D

You sometimes hear mixed corn recommended as a late scratch feed over winter as it's a long lasting warming food.  Not sure if that's an old wive's tale but mine certainly fall on it like ravening beasties when it's offered  ;)

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 10:28 »
Have you mentioned the fact that Cavies originally came from the Andes !
That said we used to move the hutch into the shed in winter but that was more to avoid the rain than the cold. :)

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 10:32 »
the other thing is that a hot water bottle in a hutch will soon go cold so most of the night it wont be adding any warmth anyway.  I spoil my guinea pigs but I think this is probably a step too far for me!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Goldfinger

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 12:06 »

What about feeding oats to chickens as well as corn??

I remember a guy who had horses that were kept in a field all year round. He said that he fed them crushed oats through the winter because oats keep them warm from the inside.  ???

Does / would this work for chickens too??

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 07:52 »
Re oats, i have just bought some porridge oats to make them a warming breakfast! heard its a good idea.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 11:47 »
mine have porridge in the mornings when it is snowy or frosty - make sure though that it is made with water and not milk owing to them being lactose intolerant.
Chickens do not need water bottles as they have their own feather duvets attached to them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Clarie

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 12:14 »
How about making them a jumper? I expect you could also adapt the pattern for guinea pigs?

http://littlehenrescue.co.uk/jumpers.aspx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 12:29 »
the jumpers are ideal for ex batts that have little or no feathers as they have been raised in heated sheds but fully feathered birds do not need them and could over heat.

Goldfinger

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 18:48 »

Just tried oats tonight, They went mad for them!! More than what they would for corn/wheat  :ohmy:

Looks like I'll be getting some more for over the winter   :happy:   :happy:

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 18:56 »

Just tried oats tonight, They went mad for them!! More than what they would for corn/wheat  :ohmy:

Looks like I'll be getting some more for over the winter   :happy:   :happy:

We often make extra breakfast porridge so the hens can have some, we all like porridge. :)

Too good for just the hens. ;)

Goldfinger

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 19:09 »

:lol:   :D

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 19:22 »
I bought one of those stone hotwater bottles off ebay last winter but found within an hour it had gone cold. This year there are more of them, ( I only had 3 last year), so I think they'll keep each other warm.

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 00:07 »

What about feeding oats to chickens as well as corn??

I remember a guy who had horses that were kept in a field all year round. He said that he fed them crushed oats through the winter because oats keep them warm from the inside.  ???

Does / would this work for chickens too??

The notion that corn and in particular oats are somehow "warming" is I'm affraid just an old wives tale (at least according to my professional animal nutritionist daughter).  I guess this myth has been originated by the Scots Porridge Oats and Readibrek ("central heating for kids")adverts which portrayed oats eaten as a breakfast cereal as being warming.  Indeed any warm food gives some warmth though not through it's food value just it's temperature.  Oats and cereals being high in starch and fibre are less readily digested than refined foods and they are slower to release their energy than refined carbo-hydrates which are turned into blood sugar rapidly (known as high glycemic carbo-hydrates).  Examples of high glycemic foods are white bread, pasta (particularly if cooked soft) and old potatoes (mashed potatoes).  However whether slower release of sugar is a good thing for chickens is debatable.  Having a full crop at night might be more or certainly just as important.

There's no need to feed chx warm food though provided it's not actually hot, just warm, there's no harm as a treat.  There's no need to provide them with heated acommodation or hot water bottles either.   Dry, sheltered housing is all that is required for all native breeds.  lightly feathered or frizzle feathered varieties may need more care than tight feathered native breeds such as Sussex which are naturally more hardy.  Obviously be more aware of really exceptionally cold weather and provide extra dry bedding otherwise they will cope fine without heat.
Best wishes
HF
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 00:13 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

xx
food and water for bed???

Started by dawnie77 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 07:21
by dawnie77
xx
water freezing

Started by finleyfreyaseth on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 22:11
by grinling
xx
water fowl

Started by pekinpete on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post January 11, 2011, 20:11
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Duckling Scared of Water

Started by Sebi on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 15:08
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 39 queries.