Eggs and spreadsheets

• 14 Replies

Clarie

Eggs and spreadsheets
« on: October 20, 2010, 12:42 »
We celebrated yesterday the fact that we, sorry the girls, had produced their 4000th egg since we got them last year. And how did we celebrate? By enjoying a delicious omelette of course.
How did I know how many eggs we'd had? Because I have a spreadsheet that records the daily number of eggs laid, along with a running monthly average and then the annual and overall totals. Oh and then I plot it on a graph. Well actually two graphs.
Surely this is normal??

Flowerpower136

Re: Eggs and spreadsheets
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 12:46 »
Absolutely .....well maybe ..... to start with! :lol:

I had mine on a flipchart on the utility room door.  It was handy just to fill in a number as I was passing with the days egg collection.

All visitors were dragged down there to admire and wonder at it. 

But I got feed up, and it fell to the floor, and probably still there somewhere!

I do admire your efficiency. :tongue2:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 12:49 »
How many hens do you have Clarie ?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 13:57 »
Can I please have a head buried in the sand emoticon please.   :wub:
 :lol:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 14:38 »
Yeh why not   

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 15:03 »
Thanks Aunty
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clarie

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 16:24 »
How many hens do you have Clarie ?

Well I started off with two last May, then got a couple more and then two more after that. Then another six. Then we hatched out some eggs: three girls and four boys (less one boy). so that makes 15 girls and three boys. The three new girls aren't laying yet but they were hatched in May so should do so soon. I don't think the boys will do much in the way of laying eggs so do they count? Anyway in total we have 18, 15 girls & 3 boys.
Oh sorry did you want the short answer?

Clarie

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 16:29 »
Absolutely .....well maybe ..... to start with! :lol:

I had mine on a flipchart on the utility room door.  It was handy just to fill in a number as I was passing with the days egg collection.

All visitors were dragged down there to admire and wonder at it. 

But I got feed up, and it fell to the floor, and probably still there somewhere!

I do admire your efficiency. :tongue2:

Oh yes forgot to mention, I have a chart where who ever collects the eggs has to record the number laid that day. I then transfer the information into my spreadsheet. Probably more efficient to record it straight into the spreadsheet but that would involve training up OH and the children in use of MY SPREADSHEET and allowing them access to!

orchardlady

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 20:13 »
If you could kick the hen keeping habit my husband say's he will give you a very well paid job.

Shhhh while hes not around. Keep going with the hen keeping he can be sooo grumpy (at home anyway) Ha. :lol:

Fisherman

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 04:32 »
We celebrated yesterday the fact that we, sorry the girls, had produced their 4000th egg since we got them last year. And how did we celebrate? By enjoying a delicious omelette of course.
How did I know how many eggs we'd had? Because I have a spreadsheet that records the daily number of eggs laid, along with a running monthly average and then the annual and overall totals. Oh and then I plot it on a graph. Well actually two graphs.
Surely this is normal??

It's normal to me Claire! Good job we don't keep chickens to make money as my spreadsheet sheet is always in negative territory. Mine also includes everything going on in the vegetable patch and has been very useful over the years as its surprising how much you forget (well at least I do).

Out of interest did egg production change much during the winter months or were your birds not old enough to be laying then?

Beano

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 10:17 »
Mine also includes everything going on in the vegetable patch
I've kept a garden diary for the last 5 years with my egg count in it. It's surprising how often (without trying) I have planted and harvested within a week of the previous years.
I also have a "first sighting" diary for migratory birds.
El.

Oliveview

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 17:57 »
We have a diary with the eggs laid and sold for this year, never did it the previous years.  We had 2 diarys so one became the egg diary.  I keep a log on who buys too :nowink:
Pamela
PS One lady has had around 85 dozen from us so far this year

Clarie

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 19:18 »
Wow what a brilliant idea. Unfortunately we leave any spare eggs out at the front with an honesty box so we don't always see who's bought them. Of course I could always rig up CCTV....  ;)

jinty1911

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 20:55 »
Got to confess that I am a spreadsheet freak too  :wacko: Most things go on a sheet but no point bothering with the chooks cos they only started laying 4 weeks ago and now 2 out of 3 broody so any graph would look like this 1-------------- lol.
Jinty

Clarie

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 09:58 »
Out of interest did egg production change much during the winter months or were your birds not old enough to be laying then?

Actually production over the winter months remained steady with an average of about 9 or 10 from the 12 birds. Since a couple went broody in the spring the average went down to about 7 and has never really picked up. It's also much more erratic. Sometimes we have 9 eggs and then maybe the next only 3. But that's ok it's lovely to have any eggs and they've never let me down so far.

xx
First eggs

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 07:36
by Casey76
xx
too many eggs

Started by Dawnuss on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2013, 13:32
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Two eggs

Started by chuckmad on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 14:15
by chuckmad
xx
First Eggs

Started by Chicken_Lover on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 18:23
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 37 queries.