Hatching Ducklings

• 39 Replies

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
Hatching Ducklings
« on: May 29, 2010, 20:59 »
Hi I have some Blue Runners and Aylesbury duck eggs in the inncy, it's day 25 today, I gave them a quick candle earlier, as most of them pipped yesterday, still none have hatched, and i noticed on a couple of them that they have pipped the wrong end, and are coming out the oppersite end to the air sack, will they be ok? Will they turn? i also noticed that 2 of them have got the air sack running long ways in the eggs and not at the fat end, again will they me ok?
This is the first time that i have got this far with duck eggs, as all the others have died before the hatching stage.
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Hatching Ducklings
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 21:18 »
Day 5 is still pretty early so don't get too worked up yet! I have also had a few (quite a few in my last hatch) that have pipped at the wrong end. If they pip then they can breathe and hatch, although I have had to help some out a bit. If they try and fail (you can usually spot this by a stain appearing on the inside of the egg at the wrong end) they can't breathe and die. There doesn't seem to be much you can do about that. At the moment you need to hold your nerve, keep the lid on and the humidity up.

Good luck!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 21:47 »
Kate how high should the humidity be now????
Oh god this is more nerve wracking than the chooks, but i know what i am doing with them now!!!! This is my first lot of Ducks

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 21:56 »
65-70%

temp down to 37 C.

Go to bed!!! Nothing is going to happen tonight you can do anything about!

(Easier said than done, I know!)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 22:09 »
I have deleted your similar post in the Hen House. Would you like me to move this there?

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 22:13 »
LOL your tell me, i am pacing now just given them a spray, and made sure there is water in the pot, and put a damp cloth in, gonna leave it 10-15 mins and see how high that makes the humidity and if its staying at around 70% mark i will them go to bed, but not until i have the humidity where it should be. Thank you for you help

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 22:15 »
Thank you i was hoping someone would delete it lol i thought i had wiped it as i was typing it thats why i done it again.
If you think it would be better there then move it, i dont mind.
Thanks x

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 21:32 »
I have now had 3 aylesbury's, and 5 Blue indian runner ducklings hatch, although i think i may have been stitched up on the runners as there is a blck one in there!!!!
photo's to follow tomorrow.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 22:28 »
Blue is caused by an incompletely dominent gene that dliutes black to blue so sounds like you have just got one where the gene was incompletely dominent and the black came through.

Looking forward to the pics tomorrow.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 10:07 »
SO!!!!!

Where are these pics we were promised!!!

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 12:04 »

My new babies

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 12:07 »

Not sure this one is going to survive, he has been hatched since about 8pm last night, and he still hasn't stood up yet!
Don't want to be hasty and put it out of his misery, but equally don't want it to suffer.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 17:12 »
I've had a couple like that, that just seem to take ages to get on their feet. I thunk they are sometimes just exhausted by the hatch. I have found that giving them a little honey or sugar water and popping them back in the incy for a little while usually perks them up if they don't seem to be getting there by themselves. Have salvaged a number of ducklings and quail who looked like they weren't going to do. Then again, maybe they just took a bit longer.  :wub:

Amazing how they preen even when the can't walk though.

I hope the little mite makes it and the rest look fab.

Ps. I think the yellow duck with the grey bill is actually your ringer as Aylesbury's have pink bills. Apparently there are very few true Aylesburys about due to cross breeding and lots of them have yellow bills which is a flaw but think grey bill is just a bit of something else!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 17:16 by Kate and her Ducks »

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 19:39 »
The one with the grey bill is a ruuner, the third picturewith the 2 yellow ones at the back with the pink bills are the Aylesbury's, all the rest are runners.
Well since i posted the photo's the little one is still alive, seems to have a lot of fight in him, he has been named DD (Disabled Duck) LOL
I think his foot is a bit bent up, can i put a selotape boot on it and splint the leg straight? I really don't want to dispatch it yet if it may pull through, it has been drinking and even managed to get himself in the water pot and have a bath, His little head is to one side as well, and i wonder if he has brain damage??

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 19:46 »
They form in the egg with their head to one side (under right wing) and their feet are always furled up to begin with so I wouldn't do anything to it unless it remains that way when it is walking. It sometimes seems to take the feet 24 hours to sort themselves out.

I was referringto the duck at the front of the first pic and the third.

xx
duckling, ducklings and more ducklings!

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Chicken Chat

18 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 10:41
by ANHBUC
xx
Ducklings, We Have Ducklings,

Started by LittleRedHen on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 08:14
by LittleRedHen
xx
getting ducklings

Started by clairerey on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 12:33
by clairerey
clip
Ducklings

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 17:51
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 35 queries.