Red mite photo.

• 39 Replies

Abacus

Re: Red mite photo.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 19:46 »
I use wooden coops but I steam clean (using a wallpaper stripper) & hoover out the dead bodies and that seems to work okay.
TTFN Jim
House Husband (Certified)
! Barnvelder Cockerel
1 Welsummer
1 Welsummer mix
1 Salmon Favorella
4 Rhodie Hybrids

littlelion

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 18:46 »
I am new this website but would like to offer the following.  I breed 5 varieties of hen and buff orpington ducks. This summer i bought some black copper marans placed them in quarantine but it soon became obvious that they had mite/lice.  Once I had got over the annoyance as I have never had either before.  Prevention is better than cure and I clean and spray and even use a dual pond vac to clean the joints. I also use both plastic and wood coops. I used the powder on the birds and in the bedding.  Cleaned out every couple of days and burnt the litter. It took ages I even dipped one of them in the solution. I have now tried 'spot on' flea control on two of the hens.  A week on and they seem fine the redness has gone and there does not seem to be any sign of the mite moving around. I will be keeping a check and posting updates. This seems a good forum.

website link removed - if you wish to post photos of your birds please post them on this forum, thanks.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 19:46 by joyfull »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 19:44 »
this thread is about redmites not mites and lice which is a completely different subject. For mites/lice we have long advised people to use either kitten strength frontline or the frontline spray but as neither of these are licensed for poultry you really should get these prescribed from a vet and sign a disclaimer for them.
Redmites do not live on the birds but live in the coops, they only venture onto the birds to feed over night.
Staffies are softer than you think.

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 10:29 »
Having suffered red mite on more than one occasion, my tried and tested method is:

1) Spray coop with Poultry Shield
2) Thoroughly wash and disinfect coop with a weak Jeyes Fluid solution and leave to dry.
3) Rub diatomaceous earth (DE) into the wooden perches (the only wood I have in the coops now I have replaced the wood coops for plastic).

Weekly maintenance, with usual cleaning out routine:

1) Sprinkle, quite liberally, DE over the wood shavings that I use both under the perches and in the nest boxes.
2) Scrape any fouling from the wooden perches, clean if necessary in a weak Jeyes Fluid solution, and also reapply DE to those.

ehs284

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 17:20 »
Just for interest:

http://www.worldpoultry.net/Layers/Health/2013/1/UK-research-project-to-control-poultry-red-mite-1141598W/?cmpid=NLC|World%20Poultry|09-jan-2013|UK%20research%20project%20to%20control%20poultry%20red%20mite

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 17:27 »
interesting but we have to hope the vaccine (should they develop one) will be available in small quantities otherwise it won't really help backyard poultry keepers  :(

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 21:24 »
We had red mite last year and we didn't notice, they hadn't fed so were grey.  Hard to spot as coop dusty anyway and we used to use DE too (obviously not enough).  Now changed to plastic coop, I know we can still get them but hoping it's easier to eradicate.  Hope we can see them easier too as the coop is black!  :)

HAPPYCHICKENHOME

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 12:04 »
I also got redmite, I have a 6x4 adapted shed, we put board around the bottom of the shed to around 4ft high so that the birds have smooth wood next to them and not the lattes of the shed - it was onerous to erradicate and I found I was addicted to going out each night and squishing with my finger, although you need to put your clothes in the wash at the back door and have a shower straight away - I also used warm, very soapy fairy washing up liquid to give the house a good soak then as it was drying used a more chemical based solution with the powder on the floor at the end, it took around 2 weeks of this every day (the weather was warm enough that it dried out every day) and then a bit less for another week or so and put the powder all around the floor edges each night.  I still have the shed and clean and spray every week and have had no reoccurance, but still go down when its dark every few weeks have have a good look around.

newchickenkeeper

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 13:25 »
Yack! Horrible fiends. I do wonder whether my girls might have something like this. Since I got them they do scratch and itch a lot. I might douse them just in case :)

Where would I be best to spot these critters?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 13:31 »
If your perches are removable, take them out and look in the join where the perch sits.  You can also rub a bit of kitchen towel along the undersides of the perch, if it comes away red, that is the mites.   Also if you go out at night with a torch and shine it up to the roof of the coop, you may see them falling down, they don't like light.

They are grey and really tiny, then turn red and get a little bigger as they feed, then as they get older they turn black.  You may also see what looks like white dust around perches and up the sides of the doors.  That is their poop!  yukky things, I hate them.

newchickenkeeper

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 16:14 »
Thanks GrannieAnnie I will certainyl do that tonight! Typical though....my ladies sleep on the foor in a big pile of straw, the don't tend to perch and the roof is so high lol. I will have a look around though and ue some kitchen towel for a swipe about.

Do they cause itching?

splash101

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 16:43 »
Do they cause itching?

Making me itch just thinking about them  :(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 16:55 »
They can.  The first time I found them I was claening out an old set of nest boxes that hadn't been used for ages and they were all in the shavings.  I had a purple coat on.  When I looked, there were 1.000's of them all over the sleeves, up my arms.  Awful little things.

So if I have to clear them out now, (OH won't do it)  I get to the back door andhave to take everything off (luckily neighbours can't see!) and chuck it in the washing machine then go up for a shower.

They can live for 38 weeks without feeding too!  :ohmy: :ohmy:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 17:44 »
Thanks GrannieAnnie I will certainyl do that tonight! Typical though....my ladies sleep on the foor in a big pile of straw, the don't tend to perch and the roof is so high lol. I will have a look around though and ue some kitchen towel for a swipe about.

Do they cause itching?

There are other mites that can cause itching such as ear mites.  The red mites generally don't live on the chicken but in the coop.  They crawl up the chickens legs to feed at night.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

newchickenkeeper

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 17:19 »
I will have to have a look. Mine seem to be itching a lot just all over and one sneezes a bit too :( I hope I haven't bought ill hens, such a shame to stress them out with a vetvisit or something having only just got them :(

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
RED MITE!!!

Started by Brambles on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post July 03, 2009, 11:08
by Hensington

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 37 queries.