Red mite photo.

• 39 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Red mite photo.
« on: July 31, 2012, 10:55 »
I thought that I ought to put this photo up again that Hillfooter posted just to show everybody what red mites look like. The ones in the photo are red showing that they have recently been feeding. If you squish them you get a blood smear. If they haven't fed then they are grey. They really are tiny.

here is the link.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Spana

Re: Red mite photo.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:28 »
Can i add my photos as well  :) They might help someone who doesn't know what to look for.

The before feeding stage. They are so small that unless you know what you are looking for they are easy to miss.

They need to have a blood feed before they can breed, so if you can catch them at the before feeding stage you save a lot of work and stress for your chickens :)

joyfull

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 12:25 »
Thanks Spana, great to see the before feeding photos  :)

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 19:47 »
Thats a good idea for all us newbie chicken owners who would not know what they where looking for thanks xxx
Pull up a perch!!

GREEN FINGERED NOT

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 10:22 »
Hi  I ended up with a bad infestation over a year ago as my chicken shed is a 6x4 garden shed that has been adapted, it has a tar roof and is awaiting its new non tar roof in the next few weeks.  As I do not normally go in after dark I really had not noticed the mites and it took some work to get rid of them.  I sprayed every day and also used very soapy warm water as the mite has a waxy coat.  However I also went in every night and did a lot of squishing with my hand and then had a shower straight after as well as washing the clothes I had on - all a great phaff but worth it for the chickens - The easiest option would have been to burn the shed and replace it with a new one, however, with the cost implications of that it was not practical at the itme so tried those options as well as powder on the floor and end of perches in the shed and have not had any visible return of the mite - I do make sure that once a week a go into the shed at night with a torch and shine it along the perch to see if there is any movement.  Hope you never have a problem with them. :wub:

wildwitchy

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 16:56 »
I had a very bad time with the things about 2 years ago. Tried all sorts (minor and major chemicals) and tbh I had to get rid of my wooden coops and go plastic. It's the only way to go. I wouldn't use wood again for my poultry now, it was a nightmare. They even got on me.  :(

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 19:23 »
me too which is why I have plastic too - even though plastic coops can still get red mites they are far easier to eradicate the little blighters.

morbidia

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 21:23 »
As a fairly new chicken keeper I got quite a shock when I discovered red mite in my coop. I knew they were a risk and kept a look out for them but to be honest wasn't too sure what I was looking for but I soon found out, I treated my coop and thought I had sorted the problem out but then noticed some more so I decided to take my coop apart. I was horrified to discover that my coop was badly infested and that what I had thought was a minor problem was a massive infestation. They were in all the gaps and joints of my wooden coop which I couldn't see until I took it apart. I absolutely blitzed the coop and then I applied Diatom to all the nooks and crannies with a soft paintbrush and also put some on the bedding. This seems to have got rid f the initial infestation and I keep checking and reapplying the Diatom in the hope that it will do the trick. I also put vaseline on the underside and ends of my perches then sprinkled diatom onto the vaseline, I haven't found any on my perches since then
When I can afford it I am going to buy a plastic coop as I think this will be easier to keep mite free

wildwitchy

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 13:48 »
Well as I said I had to get rid of my wooden coops as like you morbida, they were in all the joints etc, so I just took it apart and chucked it. After that I used a plastic keter garden storage box & put a perch in it which served well but I still wasnt happy with it. This year when I got my polish,pekins & ducks I bought two plastic barrels (screwd some plastic pipes to bottom to make them stable, cut a square hole on the top to collect the eggs - when they lay!!) & and covered cat litter box and I use them now. The ducks use the barrels and the chix all seem to squash into the cat litter box! The barrels were £10 each and the litter box was £17. They are in a walk in coop though. No red mite and easy to keep clean - just soapy water & bit of disinfectant.

See pic.

Angela B

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 20:02 »
I had persistent problems with red mite and tried various solutions, best I found was to mix Diatom powder with water to a thin paste and paint it all over the inside of the hen house (wooden) and any where else the critters were seen. It leaves a powdery reside that seems to have done the trick. I also sprinkle it on their bedding.

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 04:57 »
here is Hillfoooters recipe for mixing diatom to a slurry for painting.

Chippet

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 07:50 »
Pics are great thank you!!

alaj

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 19:31 »
Wildwitchy! What a fantastic idea! I just scuttled out to the kitchen to show my luvverly husband who is almost as impressed :D
In general though, this thread has been handy since we had spotted an odd looking bug in the old henhouse (due to be pulled down any day,its our old summerhouse and not really ideal) and its been a process of elimination. Didn't think it was a red mite but now I'm 150% sure.
Thanks x
My chickens probably make more sense than I do so forgive me ;-)

wildwitchy

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 20:55 »
Wildwitchy! What a fantastic idea! I just scuttled out to the kitchen to show my luvverly husband who is almost as impressed :D

Thank you alaj! I must say i've got to blow my own trumpet and they have been good! I refuse to pay for Eglu's. They can be swept & hosed out in 5 minutes. Plus they're cheap!

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 07:57 »
Please note that you can still get redmites in plastic housing but they are easier to eradicate.

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
red mite

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 24, 2014, 04:51
by mohs.ayaz

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 35 queries.