Vancouver

• 6 Replies

Ema

Vancouver
« on: August 25, 2018, 18:28 »
Just wanted to share I'm currently garden sitting in Vancouver for the next 3 months. Looking after someones urban veg garden. I have friends house sitting my place.

Plant wise everything here is very similar, its not as hot here as inland Canada, crops seem behind where they would be in Devon from memory and they are also behind the crops I have seen inland.

The owners grow organically and freely (ie without expense) but in my opinion, certain crops particularly the cucurbits need feeding. They have been grown in soil and home made compost, however the home made compost had lots of soil added to it to reduce the smell while decomposing to prevent bear interest. They are producing very few female flowers and when they do its taking a long time to develop. I'm currently brewing a weed tea for them but it will be a few weeks.

Crop wise there is more kale than anyone could humanly eat, the dwarf beans are producing and the climbing beans are a few weeks behind. Figs are ripe and delicious. There are ground cherries under cover which have been tasty but for the pea size not really worth it. Some of the grapes are starting to turn purple. The salad crops are in the shady part of the garden and they are doing well. There are peppers under plastic and most of these have good size fruits on them but no colour yet - I wonder when the seeds were sown. Its strange not knowing the years history. 

I have previously been near Toronto and in the Rockies - there are no slugs or snails due to the winter temperatures and the plants grow so well. I've not seen any here as its been so dry.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 16:37 »
That sounds absolutely fascinating; what an interesting challenge for you!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 21:50 »
Very interesting to garden sit in another country & very brave of you, sounds like it is something you do regularly. Am I correct? How does it come about? Do you have to plant anything up for the owners to return to?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Ema

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 16:57 »
This is my first house/garden sit - I booked it through a house sitting website. I will be going back to reality/work in January.

I have been volunteering at a farm where the veg is doing much better than the garden here. They have a lot of free manure which is probably why.

This week we have had heavy rains and a few of the squash plants have died, they only have 1 fruit on them so its a shame. The grapes have ripened and many of them have split. Most of the tomatoes are undercover and are turning red but they are not particularly large. 

chillimummy

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 17:20 »
That sounds like such an exciting thing to do.
Canada is one of the places I really would love to visit.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 00:27 »

Canada is really great! I went about ten years ago accompanying my wife's school trip to Toronto and it was amazing. Toronto was like visiting London but with 65% less people around and everyone says hello when they walk by. I freelance from time to time for a guy in Quebec and I'm hoping to go out again next year to visit him.

chillimummy

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 20:55 »

Canada is really great! I went about ten years ago accompanying my wife's school trip to Toronto and it was amazing. Toronto was like visiting London but with 65% less people around and everyone says hello when they walk by. I freelance from time to time for a guy in Quebec and I'm hoping to go out again next year to visit him.
A friends brother lives there and she loves to visit him. Always says that she feels safe there and the main thing is that it is so clean.
Planning a big holiday next year so it is top of my list of places to go. 

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 40 queries.