bland tomatoes

• 8 Replies

jambop

bland tomatoes
« on: August 13, 2017, 16:19 »
Well while I have shed loads of lovely red ripe tomatoes... the flavour to me at least is somewhat underwhelming  :( The tomatoes for pasatta are fine maybe not quite as sweet as last years but the big tomatoes for salads are not at all sweet. The tiny cherry tomatoes by contrast are like eating sweets. I think I will look at some different varieties for next year. I grew St Pierre and an F1 Monte Carlo for my larger round tomatoes but I am not impressed by the flavour, the size and form are excellent though.

Pescador

Re: bland tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 18:05 »
My favourite for flavour is Sungold, the only one I grow now.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 19:43 »
I've found that the less water I give my tomatoes, the better the flavour.  The trouble is finding the fine line between giving them just enough for them to flourish and not giving them too much. 
The taste of a tomato is very subjective, with some of us preferring the sweeter ones, and some liking the slightly acidic taste of others.  My husband's favourite this year is Sunchocola, and it has to be added to next year's growing list. Has anyone tried the green ones, because I like the idea of growing some of those next year to add a bit of variety to the salad bowl?

jambop

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 20:16 »
I very seldom water my tomatoes but we have had quite a lot of rain this summer so perhaps that is the problem. They look great but taste very average.

oldgrunge

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 20:30 »
Personally, I didn't find St. Pierre great on flavour. This year have grown Nepal, a large tomato with juicy flesh and a good flavour. My other favourites are Marmande, Brandywine, Sungold, Black Cherry, and The Amateur.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Christine

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 20:35 »
Tigerella is a favourite here. Like Fandango as well.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 07:18 »
Sarah Raven advises picking toms before you water them, the dilution of flavour is quite apparent according to her experience...

This year has not been good for toms for us, but luckily, we have enough plants to make up for the fewer trusses, and some plants giving up after just a few fruits.

victoria park

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 09:12 »
I regulate my watering in the greenhouse by looking at the leaves, but then I do check them most days. Also, I don't overfeed them, with only 4 or 5 comfrey teas during the season. Overfed toms look great and a bit "shop" but do lack a bit I think.

For salad, I grow two cherry toms, Sungold for their undoubted sweetness and Floridity for their rather more tart flavour and the fact they don't split as easily as Sungold. Cherry types generally crop a lot earlier just when you want them for salads, and are always availale an hour before eating. The only larger tom I grow for salad, rather than cooking and sauces, is Ailsa Craig that has never let me down. There's some pretty band specimens out there.

meriad

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 13:10 »
I have black cherry toms and they are just busting with flavour and I usually end up eating a fair amount when watering in the greenhouse.  The yellow plum on the other hand is totally bland when eating raw, but the flavour it gives when you use it for a breakfast fry up is fantastic; it seems to need heat to bring out the flavour.  I also have Tigerella and Roma and they're both OK but definitely not as sweet and flavoursome as the black cherry toms

xx
Bland Blueberries

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2011, 18:25
by gobs
xx
My new potatoes are bland

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 12:06
by JWK
xx
Brandywine so bland

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 17, 2018, 18:44
by Growster...
xx
potatoes a bit bland?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2020, 12:01
by bayleaf

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 35 queries.