Development of the chick - candling pics (day 1-21) video of hatching!

• 48 Replies

hillfooter

Here's how to make a candler using a hi power torch (Maglite).  The trick is to seal the light arround the shell so NO light creeps round the outside of the shell and obscures the interior.  I used some black inner tube rubber to make the light seal and snipped little 2mm cuts around it very carefully using nail sissors so it was veryflexible.  The light must light up the interior through the shell, don't make the hole too big.

HF
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:16 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
It is amazing to see the development day by day and how quickly the embryo forms - thanks Casey  :D

Casey76

Sorry about the delay in the next couple of days.  Photobucket is being a pain in the behind at the moment... I do have days 9 and 10 though :)

hillfooter

Sorry about the delay in the next couple of days.  Photobucket is being a pain in the behind at the moment... I do have days 9 and 10 though :)

The photo's are great Casey.  I've many times thought to myself I must do exactly what you are now doing but I haven't had the presence of mind to remember my camera so it's very good to see your photos in daily detail.  I only candled at such regular intervals during my first couple of incubations to get a feel for now they develop.  I only now candle twice after 7 days, to reject infertile ones, and 14 days to weed out any which haven't developed.  After that I just let them run to hatch.  It's amazing to see how much they can swirl about in the shell after around 7 days.

This post will be a great help to beginners to give them a feel for how their eggs are developing.   Well done.
HF

Casey76

I only now candle twice after 7 days, to reject infertile ones, and 14 days to weed out any which haven't developed. HF

Hi HF, Normally I would only candle at day 10 and day 18, so this is something of an education to me too.  I'm just amazed at how quickly the embryo grows!

I hope that everyone will be able to see on the day 10 pics (when photobucket decides to co-operate again) the legs, and even beak on the embryo!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Thanks for the rubber seal idea on the torch HF!  I always get a chink of light when I do mine!

hillfooter

Thanks for the rubber seal idea on the torch HF!  I always get a chink of light when I do mine!

snipping about 1 mm slits or so very carefully around the edge of the light seal with a sharp pair of nail sissors (i used my swiss army knife sissors) makes the edge very flexible so cutting out the light creep.  The black carpet tape helps too.

HF

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
love the video Casey  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

PaulineM

Is it only me or did your incubation period fly by, when I let my broody sit the 21 days seemed to last forever, following this thread daily it has flew by.  :)
Well done on the photo's and can't wait to see more chicks.  :D
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
lovely a pretty little chick - fingers crossed that when I wake up tomorrow there will be lots more for me to oooh and arrgh over  :D

pigeonpie

Never mind the chickens getting broody, I'm starting to think that I really should get some day old chicks or hatch some...!

This has been absolutely fascinating.  Thank you so much for taking the time to do this and share with us.

:D

jinty1911

Really enjoyed that.  Thanks for taking the time.  Another 8 chicks to add to your collection.  :lol:

NormandyMary

WOW What  biology lesson!! Those photos were fantastic. Could you post a piccie of what they are going to look like fully grown please?

Casey76

Pullet 12 weeks old:

Pullet POL:

Cockerel

:D

hillfooter

I thought I'd just wandered across the Vogue web site for chickens!  Lovely birds who seem to be living in a rather up market coop.  Great photos too.

You obviously know all about f stops and field of focus etc to get such good egg and bird shots.
HF

xx
HATCHING TIMES FOR VARIOUS EGGS

Started by muntjac on Poultry FAQs and other Information

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 12:32
by Aunt Sally
xx
Things to consider before Hatching Chicks

Started by Foxy on Poultry FAQs and other Information

14 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 07:12
by joyfull
exclamation
Incubators and chick rearing

Started by Aunt Sally on Poultry FAQs and other Information

108 Replies
Last post September 29, 2020, 23:05
by polishbunnies

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 41 queries.