Parsnips

• 22 Replies

WG.

Parsnips
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 08:03 »
Quote from: "chrissie B"
oh i would love to have a problem like a 2ft parsnip , we dont get them here and i tryed to grow them but they dont seem to like it here , any one got growing tips on parsnips in a warmer climate , would be greatfull.
chrissie b
How cold does it get in winter where you are Chrissie?

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Parsnips
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 09:12 »
well I pulled a couple more and they are look like aliens... after peeling, etc I get a tiny amount of flesh from them.. gutted.

gobs

Parsnips
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 10:00 »
Completely diff climate, but also very hot summer in Hungary. Commercially only grown in western parts, where there is more precipitation. Otherwise,considered the easiest root crop by most, sown around March there, prob would be sooner where you are.
More soil living grubs there to eat young seedlings and roots though.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WG.

Parsnips
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 10:25 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
well I pulled a couple more and they are look like aliens... after peeling, etc I get a tiny amount of flesh from them.. gutted.
Don't peel. Wash very carefully breaking each fork off separately.  Boil, puree and freeze.  Perfect for soups, stews, mixing with mashed carrot, and for parsnip mashed tatties.

muntjac

Parsnips
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 10:30 »
north facing slope would be better there for them i reckon crissie ,its colder /cooler on that side .a lot of shade may help as well . dig the soil real deep and try not to walk on it ,, sow ya seeds water n look after them ,i reckon they dont like hot temps and it may well be ur problem... werth a try
still alive /............

frazzy

Parsnips
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 10:31 »
some of mine were thanged and split in 2 and twined round theres selves like lovers.  how and why did they do that . i know why they thang but haven't seen them twined like that before they look like barley twist table legs.
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

muntjac

Parsnips
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 10:33 »
Quote from: "frazzy"
some of mine were thanged and split in 2 and twined round theres selves like lovers.  how and why did they do that . i know why they thang but haven't seen them twined like that before they look like barley twist table legs.

lovers ..... i had one not so long back ( see pic on parsnips posts ) that were like that lolo :lol:

frazzy

Parsnips
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 10:37 »
hehehehehehehehe gotta love mothere nature . :lol:

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips what is the key?

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 22:05
by pushrod
xx
Parsnips

Started by digga666 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 09:54
by peapod
xx
parsnips

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 12, 2013, 17:11
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 38 queries.