Familiar plants, different greens (have you tried any of these?)

• 9 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
The first bit below will sound off-topic (bear with me, it will make sense in a little while).

30 + years ago, when I was in graduate school (University of Georgia), I had a friend and fellow graduate student who was from Taiwan. He spoke very little English when he first arrived (learned English in school, but little practice outside of that). I clued in to this when he was mostly smiling and nodding, rather than talking.  I did my best to be friendly and patient, keeping our conversations simple at first, easing into more complex conversations later on; we became friends, and he became more confident talking to others as well.  By the time the calendar rolled around to Chinese New Year, I was an invited guest at a party at his apartment, the food included many Chinese dishes, not the fare you would get in a restaurant, but more like home cooking. I made a point of trying just about everything!  Including jellyfish and "century eggs", but that is off topic.

I will never forget one dish though, just for one ingredient.  A stir fry that included the tender newly-formed stems and leaves in new pea shoots (it was February I think; peas are full grown here at that time, but still producing new shoots). Flowers and older stems and leaves were omitted.  The greens were wonderful! Briefly cooked, tender, with a light sweetness to them; I was an adult, and had never heard of eating the greens from peas before. This year, I think I will try them again, growing them in my own garden.  There's plenty of online advice for basic preparation (like spinach, and cooked just a couple minutes).

There are other excellent greens from other plants. In the southern USA, turnips are grown as much for the greens as they are for the roots, or maybe MORE for the greens (at certain times of the year, you can get them fresh, or frozen, in grocery stores).  Collard greens and mustard greens are also very common here.  I grew a small bed of turnips, just for greens, last year.  This year, I planted a bed three times as big, just for turnip greens (though I won't turn down roots if I get them).  Young turnip greens, blanched briefly in salted water, are wonderful!  Reading up on other uses for turnip greens, the youngest leaves are reported to be good in salad (I definitely will try that this year, a good use for small plants pulled to thin out a bed).

I have been doing some reading up on other greens (just plants where edibility and palatability are VERY well-documented). I've read that the young leaves of Swedes (our "Rutabaga" over here) can also be cooked like turnip greens. Young radish greens can also be cooked.  Again, I am seeing opportunities to use greens especially from plants culled during thinning.

I'm curious, what other less-common greens have you tried?  Any of the above, or others I might want to look into?
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
Re: Familiar plants, different greens (have you tried any of these?)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 07:07 »
I grow a variety of mustards, chards, choi, spinach, rocket etc and use them interchangeably as whatever the weather, one of them will be available for the pot.  I still manage a schoolboy smirk when I serve up wilted 'spinach' with some particularly fierce mustard hidden in there.
You don't mention Cavolo Nero, which has been popular over here for a few years now and is the only Kale I can be bothered with.  Broad (Fava) bean tips can be used like pea shoots.

Mustard leaves are good pickled/brined and used as a condiment with stir fries, Wild Rocket seems to work too.  The superb Woks of Life explain it all here:
https://thewoksoflife.com/pickled-mustard-greens-haam-choy/

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 09:02 »
Those sound like some good choices.  Broad beans unfortunately don't do well here (summer too hot, unpredictable freezes in winter), though I may need to research that a bit more, short season types might be possible.

Cavolo Nero sounds interesting, I'll try seeing if seeds can be found here. It might be a winter option.

Rocket we do have (called arugula on this side of the pond), we had some of that last week! Not from my garden though (at least not yet).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 10:08 »
A good few of us grow pea shoots, especially in the Spring on the window ledge, for some early fresh greens :)
Outside I grow Leaf Beet aka Swiss Chard, which doesn't form a bulbous root at all, and, when I remember  ::)  a multitude of different 'oriental greens'  most of which are hardier than UK varieties
https://www.realseeds.co.uk/orientalgreens.html

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 10:59 »
A more unusual crop as a green vegetable for me is Dill, with the seed broadcast and lightly covered, and the plants cut and harvested at about 20 - 25cm tall. Added to wilt in to curries it is totally lush

I learned this from some of our Nepali neighbours. who also broadcast sow Coriander leaves in the same way

PS I also grow Turnip greens, and  a few "wild" plants too, like Good King Henry as a spinach sub, and Wild Garlic for pesto
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 11:19 »
I love to add some nasturtium leaves to a green salad - they have a wonderful bitter taste, and with a bunch of rocket, you're really getting to around 1000 on the Scoville scale!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 11:38 »
I love to add some nasturtium leaves to a green salad - they have a wonderful bitter taste, and with a bunch of rocket, you're really getting to around 1000 on the Scoville scale!

Yes!!!And they make an excellent pesto too  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 20:45 »
I’m also a devotee of various green leafy crops and when I say spinach in What’s for Tea, it could be any number of crops through the year  :lol:

I grow turnips greens and also a white beetroot that has thick chard like leaves that are much more appetising than normal beet leaves.  Chervil is a hardy winter herb here in the UK and I put a lot of that in winter salads.

This year I’ve got a new one called Chinese Violet Cress.  It is growing in pots in the unheated greenhouse and can be cooked or eaten as a salad veg.  It is much more profilic than winter lettuce and is very good to eat.  The whole lot is edible - stems, leaves and flowers.  Mine has not flowered yet, so I can’t tell you what those are like.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 08:18 »

Yes!!!And they make an excellent pesto too  :D

I've never thought of doing that, KC! What a great idea, as they grow like weeds here!

OK, hows about a nasturtium pesto and Marmite pasta dish? The latter is fabulous, but with the nasturtium, we may be on a winner!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 08:33 »
I was talking to my sister on the phone last night, she was talking about tatsoi, a type of Asian brassica, very popular in Vietnam, and also very cold tolerant, doing well even in places like Minnesota!

I've not tried it yet, but apparently it is also related to bok Choi.

xx
Warrigal greens

Started by DellDGM on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 28, 2007, 11:46
by DellDGM
xx
Dehydrating greens

Started by New shoot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 22, 2015, 08:10
by New shoot
xx
mustard greens

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

19 Replies
Last post August 21, 2012, 19:33
by Madame Cholet
xx
Preserving Fresh Greens

Started by Trillium on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post September 23, 2012, 20:17
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 47 queries.