Watering

• 6 Replies

MrsG

Watering
« on: April 06, 2020, 17:39 »
We live in Gloucestershire. We planted out our spuds and onions a couple of weeks ago but since then not a drop of rain to be seen.  Is it worth getting the hose out or should we just hope for the best?  Thanks.

WeavingGryphon

Re: Watering
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 08:13 »
We're in the same situation.
We are watering because we're putting all the effort in to plant them and don't want to stunt or have them die off.

There isn't any water supply on our allotment. We've emptied one water butt ("May") and are well into our second already ("June") and have decided to start bringing water up. We had a few spits of rain yesterday but nothing besides the odd light hail shower and maybe one shower since Ciara. The plot is like digging biscuits. Dry and crumbly.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 08:57 »
The spuds will be deeper in the soil where there is probably still plenty of moisture - it's when the tubers are bulking up they need plenty of water.

Onions much more shallow rooted, so would probably benefit from a drink.

We've had just one millimetre of rain here in the last 3 weeks or so, and I've already had to water the shallots and blueberries as I will other crops if we don't get any rain soon (none forecast for the next week.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 11:59 »
I'm sooo jealous!!  :nowink:
I'm in Ayrshire and my veg beds are still saturated, I stood on one yesterday (after a few dry days) and the water puddles under my foot. It rained last night and it is still raining!!

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 15:10 »

I'm in Ayrshire and my veg beds are still saturated, I stood on one yesterday (after a few dry days) and the water puddles under my foot. It rained last night and it is still raining!!

I'm sooo jealous!!  :nowink:, our soil is like dust. It's 4 inches down before the soil starts to darken and even a garden fork depth's down it's not damp to the touch.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 16:18 »
Some bright spark at the council decided that the soil was "sodden" so the water wasn't going to be turned on. Several many emails from disgruntled plot holders and Reps later - they had decided that perhaps it should be  :lol: :lol:

My transplanted onions (sets grown in modules) were beginning to yellow at the tips, as were the shallots, so they all had a good watering from the butts, just in case :)

jambop

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 17:08 »
Very warm ,dry and with quite a breeze today so perfect weather for drying things up even more ! There is moisture further down into the ground though but a decent spot of rain would be no bad thing. The problem with rain in the Pyrenees Atlantique is you seldom get just a decent spot it is normally a deluge so when it comes the ground will be well sodden again.

xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
WATERING

Started by Debz and Jon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2006, 14:29
by supersprout
xx
watering tip

Started by hazie3 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 22:09
by 1jim
xx
watering

Started by Lightlady on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 19:32
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 47 queries.