Questions from a total noob, hope they arent too stoopid!

• 4 Replies

balfie

Hi, waiting to take possesion of my allotment.   :D
My previous gardening experience consists entirely of what we have grown in pots, mostly chillis.  Our garden is a small paved yard so have not really grown anything properly before.

I have several questions, hope they arent too stupid!  I have had a look round this site, cant find the answers but excuse me if I just havent looked in the right places...

1. When I get my plot, I am planning to weed it, dig it over and add something to 'freshen' the soil and replenish it.  Can I just buy bags of compost and dig them in?  Or do I need to get something more 'concentrated' such as manure?

2.  Why do people grow flowers on their allotments?  Is it just because they look nice, or do they serve a purpose - is it recommended to grow flowers alongside the fruit and veg?  I wonder if they give the soil a rest?  And maybe are they to help attract bees?

3.  How do you start a compost heap?  Is it as simple as chucking weeds etc in a pile and waiting for them to rot?  Or do you need to do more to it?  I get the impression that managing a compost heap might be a lot more complicated then you first think..

4.  I have seen some plots sectioned off with large planks of wood.  Why do they do this?  What is the benefit?  I dont know whether I should be sectioning my plot into smaller sections with planks of wood, or whether do I not need to bother?

I think thats all the questions I have... for now!

Any other tips or words of advice will be greatfully recieved, I am completely new at this  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Questions from a total noob, hope they arent too stoopid!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 21:46 »
There are no stupid questions on here (although it is sometimes easier to post separate threads rather than lots in one thread  ;) :) )

1. Adding compost will be pretty expensive.  If you don't have access to manure I wouldn't bother this year.  Compost and manure are soil conditioners - they improve the structure of the soil.  Once you know from experience what sort of soil you've got, you can plan better for next winter / year.

You could add general purpose fertiliser such as growmore or fish blood and bone if you want to improve the nutrient levels.

2. Some flowers attract beneficial / pollinating insects.  Some are said to have a beneficial effect called companion planting - deter pests by confusing them (though the evidence for this is not consistent).  Some flowers are just nice!

3. Many weeds are not suitable for composting in a domestic heap because it doesn't get warm enough.  Do not compost perennial (come back every year) weeds such as nettle roots, docks, dandelions, couch grass, ground elder, marestail, bindweed.  Also do not compost flowering weeds.

I use a plastic bin which looks like a dalek.  Others use a heap in the corner.  Others make a wooden bin which is about 1m square from recycled pallets and a piece of carpet on the top.

The most important thing is to have a mix of green (including kitchen veg peelings) and brown material (slightly woodier, or paper / shredded cardboard) so that it doesn't go all slimy.  Avoid dairy, meat or cooked products.

4. Raised beds are ideal where there are drainage issues or where the bed needs to be raised for accessibility purposes.  Other than that, my personal view is that they are an unnecessary fad.  They do encourage you not to walk on the bed itself, but you can achieve that without the borders.  Also, until you've grown on the plot for a year you won't know where you want your beds definitely to be.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Charityuk

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 23:10 »
I'm in the same position, but we are deifnitely going to make raised beds ASAP.  We seem to have poor drainage and thin topsoil, but the biggest reason is so my kids know where to walk and where not to!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 08:59 »
Having looked at the photos of your plot-to-be balfie, you can get away without adding any organic matter this year.

If it were me, I would consider:

Chicken pellets for anything green and leafy (adds nitrogen) and blood fish and bone for everything else, a sprinkle raked in a couple of days or so before sowing seeds or planting out from modules. Any fruit tress or bushe also will benefit from this too.

Potatoes like a rich diet, so you could buy in a couple of bags of rotted manure from the DIY store or garden centre to put in the trenches with them.

If there is any usaable compost in your bins, then digging a trench or a pit where you will grow beans or peas, courgettes/ pumpkins/squashes and putting it in, then covering  with soil, is the best use right now imho. Even if it is only part rotted it will be fine to use it in this way. Keeps the moisture in for these ones that needs loads.

and Yorkie's explained compost making.

Don't forget to check out the Growing Help articiles at the top of the page too  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AlixP

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:48 »
Hi I'm new to it all too and have inherited a plot that was previously divided lengthways down the middle and let as half plots.  One side had raised beds the other not so I'm keeping them like that this year.  I am keeping the raised beds mainly for drainage and keeping my children off the parts I don't want them on.   I also thought it would be easier for crop rotation to just move everything along one bed each year.
I'm just enjoying learning it all at the moment.  I read on here when I first started that it is a marathon, not a sprint and I am taking that advise as my mantra!!  :)

xx
Have I done something V stoopid to my sweetcorn

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 13:57
by littlelisa
xx
Is this worth buying for a noob

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 15:37
by Stratts
xx
Is this year a baptism of fire for a noob?

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 10:21
by surbie100
xx
Should my seedlings grow so tall? (NooB)

Started by Freerider on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 13:08
by Eristic

Page created in 0.489 seconds with 31 queries.