Feather Pecking

• 4 Replies

Lynda_T

Feather Pecking
« on: May 11, 2010, 13:34 »
Hi everyone, Two of my girls are quite bad at pecking eachother feathers out they sit on a perch top to toe pulling feather out eachothers rear's!! Ive also watched my other girls eye up any new feathers that are growing back and pull them out before they even get a chance to grow back! Im pretty sure most of this pecking takes place when they go to roost at night and early morning.
 Its got sooo bad that one of them has a completely bare bottom!! Ive tried Pecka spray the one that smells horrible and ive also tried the purple spray none of them seem to be doing the trick!
Im not sure what to do now.... wee rascals that they are!! :blink:

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: Feather Pecking
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 16:35 »
hello, I had this problem with my girls, one in particular was losing a lot of feathers, the advice I was given was to mix in their food some ex-batts crumb as this is high in protein, and sometimes that is what they lack hence the eating of the feathers, and I must say it has stopped and she now has a tail. Other advice was to give them some fish cat food again high in protein.  If this doesn't work then the beak clips are often advised.

Lynda_T

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 16:44 »
Ive given then fish cat food in the past...might re try it see how it goes! AAaaah poor things look awful with their wee red bottoms showing!  :nowink:

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 17:10 »
I've watched mine have a really good look and choose the best feather before pulling it out of the unsuspecting victim! hope they grow feathers before summer, thats a thought would they get sunburnt without feathers??

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 18:04 »
Not saying who, but someone gave my girls a can of cat food, but it didn't help. I was really surprised, until I looked at the ingredidents. Most of the protein was vegetable protein, and the girls were already getting plenty of that in the pellets and peas, and there is some in wheat as well.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Feather pecking

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2016, 11:37
by Sassy
xx
Feather Pecking Again!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 22:07
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Feather pecking.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 17:32
by Chas
xx
Feather Pecking....think I've tried everything.

Started by SteveE on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 14:48
by crh75

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 38 queries.