Hi and a few questions.

• 5 Replies

Andee

Hi and a few questions.
« on: May 10, 2010, 13:10 »
Hi,
I've been digging around this site for several months now and as I have nearly completed by Hen's Den I thought I should say hello and thanks for all the useful info around here. We live in France on the edge of the Pays d'Auge n Normandy. My 3 daughters have been pestering me for some egg laying hens for some time so now the garden and house renovations are nearly complete I can delay no longer

I have not bought the chooks yet, this will wait until after our summer holiday in July, but I have finished building the coop and prepared the site for the run. I've just the cage/fencing to sort out.

The intention sis to have 3 small Bantam henss ( 1 for each of my daughters ).
Here are a few pics of the coop and site.

The coop is 4'x2'x2' high at the back. The roof hinges forward to facilitate cleaning. The floor boards are loose fitted also for easy cleaning.

I would welcome opinions as to the suitability of the coop. It is basically made form our old garage doors.

Perhaps I should have asked these questions before I started but the design kind of flowed as I built it.
The slope of the ramp is about 35 degrees, is this OK? 
Are the rungs spaced correctly (5" apart) and are they large enough?
The perches are about 6" off the floor with 16" of headroom, is this sufficient?
The door is 12" x 8".
The only ventilation I have allowed currently are the gaps under the ridges of the corrugated roofing (onduline) is this sufficient or do I need to add more?

The coop will sit at one end of bricked area which measures 120cm by 2.8m which I hope to be able to make predator proof with 1/2" weld mesh to a height of 90cms with a detachable mesh roof.  The rest of the grassed area will be fenced just to keep the hens in and cut in half so they destroy only one half had at a time.

Are there any other french living ex-pats here as I would welcome some info on pest control products available in France, where to buy food & supplies etc.

many thanks

Andy

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hi and a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 14:27 »
Hello and welcome.
Wow that is a super coup  :D, ventilation will be fine with the ridges of the onduline but some people put weld mesh inside just to stop rats etc getting in through there. The run should be ok but if you find they do struggle you could always place a breezeblock underneath the end to make it less steep or put more rungs on. There are quite a few French members on here so hopefully one of them will be in touch soon.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Andee

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 14:32 »
Thanks, we are very much in the country , so rats could be a problem ( the missus even saw a stoat/weasel  type creature last year) so a wire mesh under the onduline sounds like good advise.
I'l have to cogitate on how to fix is though.

Cheers

Andy

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 14:47 »
If you take a peek at this link you will see how a couple of members have fixed theirs  :D

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=51769.msg616073#msg616073

I know what you mean about rats, weasels and stoats as I have farmland all around me plus a beck at the side so will never be able to completely get rid of them but do my best to control the situation.

Andee

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 15:05 »
Shame, I not not spot that post on my earlier visits. I'll have enough mesh left over when I do the fence ( if I did my sums right) so I'll be be blocking up those holes.

Cheers
Andy

Chablis Dog

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 16:28 »
I have mesh on under a roof just like yours and it is there to keep the fouine etc out.  So far, it seems to be pretty effective (doesn't keep them out of my house though!!!)  Other than that your hen house looks pretty good.  So far I haven't seen any rats but the chooks are so messy with their food that sooner or later, we are likely to get them.  I never use any poisons because I could guarantee either my resident owl or my Springer would eat something that had been poisoned and they would die too.  Anyway, I am trying to keep my land as environmentally friendly as possible.  My biggest problem is finding a feeder which allows the chooks to get to their food but keeps all the other pests out.  I had to take the bowl out of the hen house as I found it full of mouse droppings.  So now, it sits in the middle of the hangar on the floor (my hen house is in a hangar with a large door that opens to the hens' paddock) and all the sparrows eat it!!!  I just can't seem to win on this one.  I have seen feeders advertised which are operated by the hen standing on a platform which releases some food but think, well it will still end up scattered across the floor as it does now!!!  If anyone knows the solution to this conundrum, I would be very interested.

xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
two questions

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 10:57
by naturesparadise
xx
diy hen run questions.

Started by slurp on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 06, 2009, 13:36
by slurp
xx
Even more poo questions.

Started by CHICKEN LICKEN on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 21:32
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 34 queries.