• 12 Replies

Christine

Don't go to the sales
« on: December 26, 2008, 12:10 »
That's a great saving on money and very frugal :mrgreen:

crowndale

Don't go to the sales
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 16:15 »
with you there!  Did you see the bit on the beeb about sales in london, scary the number of people there!  much prefer a quiet boxing day at home vegetating with a good book!  (and Christmas choccies)
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Elaine G

Don't go to the sales
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 18:18 »
Well I have not got presents yet for daughter or son in law as they are in Oz till 7th Jan.
So I am being frugal by buying their stuff in the sales!!

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Porffor

Don't go to the sales
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 17:17 »
ahh but sometimes it CAN be frugal...

We gave our daughter £40 for clothes as part of her Christmas present... we went to the sales yesterday (daughter and I)... I didn't spend any money, she spent her £40 .. on clothes she needed (mostly tops as she's grown out of many of hers recently) and when we totalled the amount on getting home had she bought all the items full price it came to £90.. all of the tops are able to be 'warmed up' for the rest of the winter, but worn alone for the spring / summer too :)

now that is a bargain if you ask me :).

Christine

Don't go to the sales
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 19:45 »
But Porffor, how many people can be that disciplined and actually buy what they need?

How often do you actually replace items like the cooker or the washing machine which have broken with exactly what you want in the sales?

Mostly the sales seem to include the buyers' mistakes - stock that was never going to sell and which should never have been on the shelves.

I picked up a toaster before Christmas at better than half price because it was an end of line - the reductions on almost similar toasters in the same shop still leave the price £9 higher than I paid a month before the sales started.

Likewise a perfectly good Teac CD player/radio which was ex demo with no box or instructions and a missing aerial at better than half price. It now has an aerial at no cost and works perfectly. The new stock was reduced from £199 to £149 - still twice as much as I paid. The aerial just required a pair of pliers to pinch one from elsewhere. Not hard.

I noticed today that some chains have shifted their sales stock already and are bringing in new stock for the spring. And that their prices are a bit better than they were in the summer.

Elaine G

Don't go to the sales
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 20:25 »
how many people can be that disciplined and actually buy what they need?

Some of us can Christine!
We have been out today to buy Mum a vacuum cleaner to replace the one that blew up a few weeks ago.
I researched via Which? and the internet, but opted for one a couple of pounds more so that we can take it home with her tomorrow. Still a good price though.

Every one happy!!

Elaine

SalJ1980

Don't go to the sales
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 17:02 »
Quote from: "Elaine G"
Well I have not got presents yet for daughter or son in law as they are in Oz till 7th Jan.

Ditto...OH and I spent Chrsitmas with his family, and we'll see mine at the end of January for second Christmas (I think we're part-Hobbit!). My dad phoned me up a few weeks ago to ask what I wanted for Christmas, I told him to wait until the sales and get me something then, he was really shocked at the idea, but I said when do think I'm getting yours?!?!  :lol:
Sal

Organic...so far!

yummy

Don't go to the sales
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 18:27 »
Quote from: "SalJ1980"
Quote from: "Elaine G"

Ditto...OH and I spent Chrsitmas with his family, and we'll see mine at the end of January for second Christmas (I think we're part-Hobbit!). My dad phoned me up a few weeks ago to ask what I wanted for Christmas, I told him to wait until the sales and get me something then, he was really shocked at the idea, but I said when do think I'm getting yours?!?!  :lol:

We did that unintentionally (but I'd do it again  :lol:  ) We had unexpected visit from some family and some of them are vegan. OH hadn't bought them anything and really thought he should so we racing into town on Boxing Day at 4pm hoping to find something suitable in Lush. (They had just shut but the kind people put the barriers back up for us  :flower: ) They had a great offer on. He bought the necessary presents and we left with two £30 gift sets for nowt. He gave them to me and I now have enough stuff to last me ages.

SG6

Don't go to the sales
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 16:36 »
I am somewhat unsure of these sales.

Just before Christmas, Dec 19,I went looking for an LCD TV. Checked in the local Currys store (big one) they had an LG at 299.99. In the end I bought a cheaper one from the internet at 199.95.

Dec 27 I was back close to the same Currys store so called in to see what their sale had on offer. The same LG TV was now in the sale at 329.99. A 10% increase :shock:  :shock:

Also in all the time I have seen PC World advertise a special offer laptop I have never managed to actually see one at the offer price in the store.

The word SALE in a window may not mean much it seems.

Christine

Don't go to the sales
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 17:38 »
Quote from: "SG6"
The word SALE in a window may not mean much it seems.

This year prices definitely seem to have risen in the January sales from the good offers in the two weeks before Christmas.

Also I think that more people have noticed that items  that we saw back in the summer and which we didn't buy then are being dragged out of the store rooms.

There seems to be a bit of a consensus among shoppers that says many stores are putting good stock that we would like to buy away for the duration of the sales and that certain goods are being bought in for said sales.

In other words, the January sales have become somewhat of a sham.

chrissie B

Don't go to the sales
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 13:10 »
i think that anyone on a budget trying to get those big items for a house its a great time to get them as we all know the prices are going to go up again , shops cant sustain the sales prices for too long
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Oliveview

Don't go to the sales
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 19:13 »
I want to know why the sales clothing is all for thin folk  or TALL folk, never ´normal´ folk :(
Pamela

Christine

Don't go to the sales
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 08:17 »
Daughter and family were looking for a colour printer in the sales after Christmas and found one down the town street at £65 not in a sale. It was £83 in the sale at PC World (or it could have been at Curreys - forget now). Anyway they bought it down the street in the not a sale.

xx
The Sales

Started by sweet nasturtium on Frugal Living

26 Replies
Last post December 28, 2007, 19:18
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Car boot sales

Started by hectic on Frugal Living

14 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 12:57
by Parsnip
xx
Seed sales are a coming!

Started by New shoot on Frugal Living

32 Replies
Last post July 18, 2015, 07:41
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 33 queries.