Last night at the Proms

• 6 Replies

wighty

Last night at the Proms
« on: August 25, 2020, 20:11 »
We looked into going to the official Last Night and the criterea (sp) is very special.  We used to have our own last night at Osbourne House here on the Island.  If you just had a sandwich box with a cheese and tomato sandwich you were frowned uponed.  Proper tables, table clothes, candelabra,  etc we de rigour.  (We do things  properly here). We loved it, we have our flags, and I'm sorry at the last night of the proms we will be waving our flags, and singing the words (although we don't really know them).  It's a tradition that we all look forward to.

mrs bouquet

Re: Last night at the Proms
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 11:40 »
We used to do the same at Petworth House.    Like yourselves done in style, and dressed appropriately.  This year, I shall stand in my sitting room and sing my heart out.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 12:24 »
We looked into going to the official Last Night and the criterea (sp) is very special.  We used to have our own last night at Osbourne House here on the Island.  If you just had a sandwich box with a cheese and tomato sandwich you were frowned upon.  Proper tables, table clothes, candelabra,  etc we de rigour.  (We do things  properly here). 
There always were evenings like that at Leeds Castle, but the autumn one was special, they used to end with the 1812 overture, complete with cannon fire and fireworks to look as if the castle was being attacked. Fantastic entertainment when the weather was dry, not so in the rain  ::)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 13:24 »
We looked into going to the official Last Night and the criterea (sp) is very special.  We used to have our own last night at Osbourne House here on the Island.  If you just had a sandwich box with a cheese and tomato sandwich you were frowned upon.  Proper tables, table clothes, candelabra,  etc we de rigour.  (We do things  properly here). 
There always were evenings like that at Leeds Castle, but the autumn one was special, they used to end with the 1812 overture, complete with cannon fire and fireworks to look as if the castle was being attacked. Fantastic entertainment when the weather was dry, not so in the rain  ::)
I’ve been to them at Leeds too, great fun  :D

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 14:52 »
We've never done the Leeds evenings, but the place is just fantastic for a visit!

We'll be singing the words as loudly as possible, hopefully outside!

Nobody tells us what to sing and not sing...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 14:57 »
I had quite forgotten about the Leeds Castle event, we have been to that as well.    It's a fantastic venue.  Mrs B

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 17:04 »
I'm in your club growster say no more  :nowink:

xx
Night Sky

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2020, 20:59
by Yorkie
xx
And if you've got to mow; mow now, or else you'll have to stay all night...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post November 06, 2018, 14:59
by digger1
xx
well" did you come out last night

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2020, 08:20
by WeavingGryphon
xx
BBC prog last night

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post February 17, 2022, 15:56
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 47 queries.