Feather pecking and eating

• 9 Replies

PlacidCasual

Feather pecking and eating
« on: March 28, 2011, 14:08 »
I recently bought 4 POL hens. They're hybrids - two rangers and two copper blacks.

Shortly after we got them home I noticed that one of the copper blacks 'George', had scruffy plumage at the base of the tail and a bare patch in front of the vent. I thought it was probably due to the plumage not being fully developed, but I think it must have been because it was being pecked. The other three were all fine.

Then when watching them I noticed that George would occasionally pluck feathers from the two rangers and eat them. The other copper black would sometimes fight to get the feather and eat it. I gave it a few days and then bought some anti pecking spray. (http://www.regencypoultry.com/heathcare/anti_peck/barrier_anti_peck.htm)

I've been using that every day for a few days now and if anything the problem is worse. The second copper black has a bare patch at the bottom of her back, and is occasionally plucking feathers from the others. The two rangers are very threadbare around the fluffy area of the bottom and are being tugged off the roosting pole when trying to get a rest.

In desperation I've just put George in isolation to give the others a rest from the pestering.

There are non-organic sprays that I could order (eg http://www.regencypoultry.com/heathcare/anti_peck/ukadex_anti_peck_spray.htm), but I wondered if anyone could suggest anything else.

Thanks

Casey76

Re: Feather pecking and eating
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 14:26 »
You can get beak bits from the domestic fowl trust.  They prevent the beak from fully closing so the bird can't get a grip on the feathers (but they can eat and drink normally).

Feather eating can is a sign of nutrient deficiency - normally protein and/or biotin.  Protein can be increased by adding a little tukey starter (check to make sure it doesn't contain a coccidiostat) to the layers pellets, or by adding some crushed soy beans or meal to the pellets.  You could also try feeding a little beef or fish wet cat food. Biotin is required to make feathers (and hoof and hair), and NAF make a very reasonably priced supplement for horses in a lucerne base, either in a pellet or powder form, which can be sprinkled on the layers pellets too (this will be available in a tack shop, or feed store :) )

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 14:42 »
Im having a similar problem.  I've sprayed with purple spray in an attempt to put the offending hen off, but to no avail :(.  Interested in the NAF product, does it have a commercial name?
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

PlacidCasual

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 15:05 »
I tried giving them a pouch of fish based cat food each morning for about 4 days - approx 25g of food each. I gave up on that as there was no improvement. Do you think it would be worth trying again?

Also, I found after buying them that the copper blacks are beak trimmed - I contacted the supplier and said I thought they were malformed, but got a reply that this variety is clipped. The rangers aren't. It makes me wonder why it is felt necessary to trim the beaks of the blacks. Would a beak bit do anything that the trimming doesn't?

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 15:14 »
Otis Pony: It is just NAF biotin http://www.naf-uk.com/products/detail.php?id=12

Placidcasual: I'm very surprised that layers destined for a backyard flock are beak trimmed, to be honest - however some strains can be more, er, spunky, than others.  Personally I wouldn't breed from stock with behavioural problems, but I suppose a breeder has to make money.

A beak bit will almost certainly help in the short term, to help break the behaviour pattern of feather pecking, and supplementing the diet will help with any nutritional deficiency which the hens need the feathers for.

PlacidCasual

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 21:49 »
Thanks for the advice -  the copper blacks don't seem at all aggressive. Definitely not top of the order, just pestering anyone near enough. Anyway, a belt and braces approach from me - beak bits and Ukadex spray ordered.
I'll also give George a few minutes in solitary with some cat food - to make sure she gets it all.
There's another thread today about feather eating - George has just started laying, similar to the other one. Hopefully it will be a passing phase.

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 22:15 »
Hi
Im the writer of the other post!  :blush:  didnt see yours oops.  i've just texted my husband to pick up some soya beans and kidney beans on his way home, also will isolate her tomorrow for a bit of fish.

Sally isn't top bird either.  I am just so stressed about this as going away thursday and can just see us coming home to dead/eaten chickens!  fingers crossed my anti peck spray and rings come in time.

Its so horrid to watch isn't it!

Clare
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 14:32 »
My offending girl isn't top of the pack, probably the bottom.  Just realised she might be doing it because she always has last pickings at anything and maybe shes not getting her share of nutrients.  I'll separate her when the others are busy and give her some goodies, fingers crossed!! :)

PlacidCasual

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 21:21 »
To end this thread - I tried all of the above. The Ukadex is particularly disgusting. But the two offending hens kept up the feather eating.

I contacted my supplier and agreed an exchange. It was after a lot of guilty feelings that I returned them, but I couldn't bear the thought of possibly 4 years of problems.

They have become part of the 'naughty flock' and their replacements are impeccably behaved.

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 06:33 »
I'm pleased it all worked out in the end PC :)

xx
Feather Pecking/Eating

Started by D.Bates on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 21:53
by D.Bates
xx
Feather Pecking and eating

Started by flimbin on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 15:32
by joyfull
xx
Feather pecking...need help please

Started by moomintroll on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 15:10
by Mrs Bee
xx
Feather Pecking

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 18:04
by woodburner

Page created in 1.368 seconds with 36 queries.