Withdrawn ex battery hen

• 8 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
Withdrawn ex battery hen
« on: August 09, 2009, 19:44 »
hello,
I collected 4 ex battery hans one week ago. 
Three seem to be doing well, but one is very withdrawn and doesnt seem to like the company of the others, prefering to stand away from the others with her eye closed (she only has one poor thing!) or with her head under a wing.  She seems to be at the bottom of the pecking order and isnt able to get to the feeders as often as the others as they are so boisterous.  I have fed her seperately when I can and she is eating, and although she gets the occasional peck from the others I wouldn't go as far as to say she's being bullied. 
Is this typical for traumatised ex bats?  Should I be doing anything like seperating her?  I didnt want to isolate her any more than she is...
does anyone have any advice please??

raeburg

Re: Withdrawn ex battery hen
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 19:54 »
For some it can be a real shock to the system and they take time to adjust.  Make sure she's getting food and water - she may manage mash better than pellets and try with a tonic  such as poultry spice.  Sadly some just cannot cope when they are liberated.  Try her with a little extra protein such as some cat food to help feather growth.  These poor girls have had a hard life and some are just worn out.  Of the 8 I rescued a year ago, I still have 5.  The 3 died from various ailments but they had a much better last few months of their lives.

Rae

grumpydad

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 19:59 »
is there any way you can have 2 feeders and water stations, so she can get to one whilst the others are at the other ? or can the others be distracted by corn so you can give the other catfood ?
martyn

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 20:07 »
hi, i have found 2 feeders and water containers to be really helpfull. the hens cant be in 2 places at once so she will be able to feed in peace

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 21:05 »
Oh no, disaster...
took her out to try and give her some food and poultry spice - she came out and was very alert being in the garden on her own without the others - didnt show any interest in the food however, so I put her back in.
Immediately she was attcked by two others and they have drawn blood on her comb - nothing too bad, but I gather the red will be enough to induce other attacks?.
She was desperate to get out, so we immediately let her out and now have her in the garage for the night with bedding.  We plan to put her back in tomorrow but with a wire screen seperating her from the others.  It's so incredibly distressing seeing them attack her as she is my favourite and is now looking if anything slightly more bedraggled than when she arrived from the battery farm...I'm starting to have sleepless nights!!

raeburg

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 23:46 »
Get som purple spray and put it on any red wounds as it disguises the redness.  And it stains everything so be careful - i got a lot of funny looks going to work with purple/barbie pink hands :)

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 09:05 »
be careful by separating her for too long, it can excerbate the bullying particulary if she is a bit under the weather or bottom of the ranking. What you can do is try and identify the top hen and remove this hen into fenced area of the run. Hopefully what this will do is change the pecking order and put the "bully" lower down the ranking. Keep a real close eye on any feather pecking. Oh how big is your run?? Extra space can help. :)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:25 »
These ex-batts....you just don't know the heart ache you take on with them!

I've had my 8 one week also.  Tilly the Hun was bullying the others, so I made a point of picking her up and holding her and walking round with her, so they, and she would understand that I am top chuck in this run, and not her..........it was something I'd read about, so thought it worth a go.

Do you know, it worked a treat.  Tilly now deferrs to me, and actually makes a point of being near me when I'm in there.  She's still 'organising' them, but the aggresion has stopped. They've settled down fine (hope I'm not speaking too soon!).

Might be worth a go.

Re withdrawn hen,  well, someone has got to be a the bottom of the order.......just happens to be her in this case.  Can only suggest, keep an eye on her, and make sure she has access to food she will be familar with - probably dry mash, as well as other tempting morsels.  Hope she picks up. 

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 17:01 »
Thanks all,
Have ordered the gentian violet purple spray and have tried the walking around with her to show her who's top girl - will keep an eye on them and post any further questions as they come up!

xx
Withdrawn chicken!

Started by ANGELINA JOLIE on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 02:13
by hillfooter
xx
Allotment withdrawn

Started by Fluff on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 02, 2006, 20:22
by John
xx
Withdrawn Eggs

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 04:40
by Lindeggs
xx
Withdrawn Pekin - Updated Wednesday 25th

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 19:57
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 33 queries.