Pear tree blister mite problem

• 4 Replies

mbirtles

Pear tree blister mite problem
« on: May 06, 2015, 08:37 »
Hi
I got my first allotment this year and everything seems to be going well but I have found a problem with my pear tree. The tree is a dwarf variety and I bought it potted in March at about 1.3m high. The tree was doing well, plenty of leaf buds and blossom but I went to check last night and noticed a lot of pinky red spots on the leaves, the worst affected leaves are at the top but there is signs of it spreading with few small spots on all leaves towards the base.
Having looked this up i think it is the pear tree blister mite but have found conflicting remedies.
My dilema is -
Do I remove all the affected leaves now whilst the mites are active
or
Do I wait until winter and prune it right back removing all the buds hoping it recovers mite free for next year.

help and advice appreciated thanks.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Pear tree blister mite problem
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 08:57 »
I have the same thing mbirtles.

RHS advice is here: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=661

It says you can remove the leaves now if it's not a heavy infestation, in which case it will do more harm than good.

mbirtles

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 09:06 »
thanks, I have seen that bit of advice which has been me undecided about what to do. I started to remove the worst affected leaves at the top but stopped once I realised I would end up removing every single leaf off the tree. I think It is too badly infected to remove leaves now.

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 15:02 »
My dwarf pears have been infested with this pest for the last 2 years. I decided to research it and found that there is not much info available to UK gardeners on how to deal with it, especially since the EU banned previous chemical solutions. The best cure involves using horticultural oil diluted in water, this must be applied by spraying every single bud before they start opening in late Winter/early Spring. What the oil solution does apparently, is suffocate the microscopic mites that live in the buds. If left too late, spraying is ineffective as the mites burrow into the leaves. I sprayed mine in March and have no sign whatsoever on any mite infestation on my trees so far! Very impressed  :)

If you can't get hold of horticultural oil, the following recipes work apparently:

4.5 litres water + 3 tablespoons good canola or veg oil + 1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda

or, 1 gallon water + 1 cup veg or soybean oil + 2 tablespoons liquid dish soap

or, Vitax 2 in 1 Pest & Disease Control spray.

As it's too late to spray this year, apparently picking off all affected leaves works well, the trees soon recover. Good luck, hope you get rid of the mite.

mbirtles

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 16:29 »
thanks, I think I will just remove all the leaves then this year, it will leave the tree bare but hopefully it will recover for a crop this year.

xx
pear.leaf blister mite

Started by verity on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 20:06
by DavidT
clip
Pear tree problem

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 06, 2014, 20:43
by Yorkie
xx
problem with pear tree

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 00:06
by gobs
xx
The top died, pear tree problem

Started by WeavingGryphon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2020, 09:45
by WeavingGryphon

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 34 queries.