Does anyone’s site use trial plots?

• 22 Replies

Ali M

Re: Does anyone’s site use trial plots?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 00:25 »
We have to do a years probation before we get a full contract... sounds official, I know!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 07:51 »
I think the mini plots your site uses Kirpi are a good idea. I can see the appeal for even the experienced growers.  As long as you choose your crops with the temporary nature of the plot in mind, you could get a few good lots of quick maturing veg out of a mini plot  :)

On my site, there are not many full sized plots left. They all get subdivided as they come up, but even so, we get a lot of people giving up very soon.  The plot next to me was looked afted by a lovely old guy for 40 plus years.  It was immaculate, but he has had to give up first half and now all of it due to failing health.  The soil is like fruit cake where he has worked it for so long, but both halves are now waist high in weeds as the new people have just not put any time in  ::)  

We have several real nightmare plots where I really do feel for whoever takes them on next.  Seeing this plot turn into another one is heartbreaking  :(

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 08:44 »
Thanks for the explanations.  Food for thought.

With the turnover we have, and the way the tenancies are done, it wouldn't work for us at present but I'll file it away for the next time the idea comes up at the regular city-wide site secretaries meetings.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 10:50 »
On our site we have sub divided plots into halves and even thirds. This has kept the waiting list down. New people are asked what size plot they would like ie full, half or third if there was a choice. Difficulty is if you want a full and only a third is available do you offer them the third or keep them on the list as full plots are few and far between.
Like Yorkie I struggle to see how trial plots would work. I for one would not be happy to be given a plot for a short while and effectively told 'you needn't grow anything just keep it weed free then we will give you a bigger plot so you can grow something' (well thats how I interpret what you are saying.) Yes it may weed out (pardon the pun) the few that really have no interest, but who then is responsible for clearing the plot before the next trialler takes it on?
We offer whatever becomes available to the next on the list, if they want more growing area they can go back on the waiting list and will get offered more when and if their name pops up to the top. We only had 29 full sized plots to start with, but as most are now sub divided we have  40+ people using the site.
No one system will work on all sites. If it works for you then great.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Kirpi

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 15:30 »
I for one would not be happy to be given a plot for a short while and effectively told 'you needn't grow anything just keep it weed free then we will give you a bigger plot so you can grow something' (well thats how I interpret what you are saying.)

No, the way it works is someone who would like a plot takes on a miniplot and is able to grow short term vegetables - carrots, early potatoes, mini-veg etc. and works that plot until a bigger one comes along or they decide it is not for them.

What usually happens then is they harvest what is on the miniplot before they switch or leave. If there is anything which is not ready for harvest it may be agreed between the leaver and the new mini-plot tenant to split the proceeds when they do mature or whatever they decide in fairness between them.

I'm certainly not suggesting that test plot tenants are just used as a way of keeping vacant plots clean until a full plot comes along.

It works well and it gets people working together as miniplots mean those new tenants get to meet other new gardeners and longer tenants as the miniplots are near the tea room so new people get to be part of the whole site community.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 19:59 »
I've read through this whole thread, and I do agree that too many folk have no idea how much work is involved in starting out with a huegyl overgrown plot, or then maintianing it in full productivity.

Personally I think the 'mentor' route needs more exploration, and this, plus initial 6 month lets to sort out those who are serious growers would help considerably.

I feel so strongly about this (being totally fed up with weedbound plots all over our site and yet a long long waitiing list arrrghhh!) that the next time our local councillor has a surgery I am going along to discuss the whole mismanagement with him. I shall invite him for a look around on our site to see the size of the issue
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 21:06 »
I still don't understand  :wacko:

Angela, how long is your waiting list?  Are you suggesting that as soon as someone signs up on the list, they get a trial plot until they reach the top of the waiting list?  And at that point, they get offered the first proper plot and have until the end of the season to give up the old plot?

What happens once your waiting list is longer than the numbers of trial plots?

What happens if a proper plot comes free as soon as someone has taken up a trial plot?  Do they get offered it immediately?

I'm not being critical or deliberately asking awkward questions; I'm probably just being dense but I just cannot see how it would work.  :blink:

No, the thought was to allocate trial plots when they become available to people at the top of the list.  Our waiting list is approximately 15 months (about 45 people long at the moment).

Plots only really get reallocated approximately twice a year on our site, although this has changed this year (mainly because the site has started splitting 10 rod plots into 2 x 5 rods).  The main purpose for a change in process is to prevent plots being allocated to people who really don't know where to start - and end up finding the whole thing too much.

On our site we have sub divided plots into halves and even thirds. This has kept the waiting list down. New people are asked what size plot they would like ie full, half or third if there was a choice. Difficulty is if you want a full and only a third is available do you offer them the third or keep them on the list as full plots are few and far between.

We have found that people, given the choice, seem to want to wait for a larger plot - despite (in many cases) never having any allotment keeping experience before!  Perhaps I am being a bit mean, but I don't think people should be given the choice.  I would have personally have loved a full 10 rod plot as I had been growing vegetables for over 20 years so knew I could manage it, but only a half plot was available at the time and I was chomping at the bit to start growing on an allotment so I took what was available.  The plot I took was one which nobody seemed to want as it was near the shop and I think people were worried about it being "constantly scrutinized" (which it is!).  However, in the early days, it forced hubby and I to turn the plot around far faster than it probably would have done had the plot been in a quiet corner of the site.

Even now, I only have a 5 rod and 2.5 rod plot (having been on the waiting list for the second plot) and would have loved one large 10 rod plot, but you have to take what is available.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 21:14 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 19:38 »
No, the thought was to allocate trial plots when they become available to people at the top of the list.  Our waiting list is approximately 15 months (about 45 people long at the moment).

Plots only really get reallocated approximately twice a year on our site, although this has changed this year (mainly because the site has started splitting 10 rod plots into 2 x 5 rods).  The main purpose for a change in process is to prevent plots being allocated to people who really don't know where to start - and end up finding the whole thing too much.

Ah, I see, it theoretically could work with that turnover only twice a year.  It wouldn't work on ours because we re-let throughout the year - so someone could be at the top of the list for anything between a few days and up to 6-8 months, with often no way of knowing whereabouts in that range each person would be.  Add in to that the fact that they are allowed a choice of 3 plots once one comes free, then it would just get too complicated.

xx
Which veg trial

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 04, 2010, 19:07
by rowlandwells
xx
PEA TRIAL

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 20:50
by azubah
xx
Tomato watering trial

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 24, 2015, 13:44
by Goosegirl
xx
koralik tomatoes-trial seeds

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 18:34
by grenhouse

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 35 queries.