Sweetcorn Experiment

• 5 Replies

AndyRVTR

Sweetcorn Experiment
« on: August 17, 2022, 14:45 »
As I've now only got my home garden to grow fruit & veg, I'm quite restricted to growing space I have. We've always loved sweetcorn but the thought of how much space I'd need to use on the traditional method made me try this. I took a 42ltr muck bucket (aporox 18"²), drilled some ½" holes in the bottom and filled it with some multi purpose compost. I sowed around a dozen Swift F1 seeds on 11/03 and  on 17/04 I planted the young plants into the bucket, evenly spaced and watered in well. Over the following few weeks I had to wrap them in fleece a few times because of low temperatures but when the weather finally warmed up they've been fine. They've been watered regularly and fed with tomorite every now and again plus I added some growmore and some fish, blood & bone on one occasion. Today, I checked to see if they were ready by testing the sweetness and found it was a perfect time to harvest them.
I managed to get 10 nice sized cobs which I've prepped and put in the big freezer to be used at a later date!
Although traditional methods work very well, if you're short of space try this method, it's worked better than expected for me!
20220817_100001_copy_1734x2312.jpg
20220817_100007_copy_1734x2312.jpg
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 14:47 by AndyRVTR »

Goosegirl

Re: Sweetcorn Experiment
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 11:19 »
I too am short of veg space and have mine in the greenhouse but have yet to test them. How many did you put in your bucket?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 19:26 »
Although I grew 12 plants, I put the strongest 10 in the bucket which all grew to maturity!  :)

lettice

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 09:50 »
All sounds good.
Even though 10 in there sounds a squeeze. They must be in very close contact?
I save my sweetcorn seed now. As helped on here. So always have plenty. May give this a go next year as always have plenty of spare containers that can be spread around the garden.
Although I love the cobs as they are to eat, do also freeze a load that lasts me for a whole year.
My favourite recipe for the frozen corn being a Chinese chicken and sweetcorn soup, using spare Roast Chicken from Sunday, just yum!

I grow my sweetcorn in differing places.
One direct in the ground, bed is 36 inch x 36 inch, three block rows of 4, so 12 in all.
Second and third occupying half of raised beds, 2 block rows of 3, measuring around the plants is an area that occupies 18 inch x 18 inch.
I grow one row of lettuce all around the outer area of those raised plants and rows of lettuce between the raised bed sweetcorn rows.

Both areas have done well each year like that and been no different this year, only that they got slightly taller than usual.
My Sweetcorn Golden Bantam this year has grown an extra foot or so to 7 1/2 to 8 foot high.
Is though as normal setting three and some four cobs on each plant. Been picking plenty last few weeks.

Once planted, I only water my sweetcorn each dry day, do not add any kind of feed.
Both beds have homemade bin compost spread over the soil before planting.
Have used the same soil in both areas mentioned above for many years without any digging.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 14:07 »
Ten per bucket and it works? Must try that next year. Lettuce's no feed comment will put a stake through my OH's heart because this year he had me piling on loads of rotted horse manure after I'd planted them in one of my greenhouse beds that was well covered and dug with horse manure last year.

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 14:44 »
Lucky that you've been able to harvest cobs, mine were planted traditionally in block and looking good but been down today and some critter has eaten / damaged every one, not happy. I also did some a bit later and they haven't matured yet so will have to net or something. First time I've had this, saw another post saying old socks were put on the cobs but thought this might prevent maturing???

xx
The Experiment!

Started by Welsh Merf on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2012, 10:19
by HHH
xx
Experiment

Started by scott87 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 13:37
by mumofstig
xx
Pea experiment

Started by Robster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2015, 17:25
by Salmo
clip
spud experiment

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2014, 11:11
by rubberfrog

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 42 queries.