merry tiller centaur

• 21 Replies

chumpy7

Re: merry tiller centaur
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 14:55 »
Hmm... agree that it does sounds like a fuel supply problem. 

From the model number I guess it's got a tank-mounted "pulsa-jet" type carburetor: this has a fuel pump with a diaphragm, which lifts fuel from the main tank into a little "cup" inside the tank (at the top), which in turn feeds the main jet(s).  Because it can take a lot of pulling on the starter to get enough fuel into the "cup", one trick is to make sure the fuel tank is filled to the brim (so it overflows into the cup).  The "squirt of fuel into the cylinder head" trick is another way of getting the engine to pump fuel into the "cup", but you may have to do it quite a few times.  By the way, these generally need full choke to start (unlike the "pulsa-prime" carburetor, which is the other type found on older Merry Tillers).
Otherwise, dirt in the jets, or a perforated diaphragm are the the most likely culprits - take a look at http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/#id_briggs

Filling it to the top got it going, thanks for the tip. I'll put it back on the tiller tomorrow and see if I can get it running a bit smoother, it's dog rough at the moment but at least it runs
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 14:57 by chumpy7 »

Gerry Norris

Re: merry tiller centaur non start
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 07:19 »
Did you not say your fuel was a "CLOUDIE BROWN"  colour? Probably rust/muck in tank and its pulled some through, Did you clean out Tank

chumpy7

Re: merry tiller centaur non start
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 10:27 »
Did you not say your fuel was a "CLOUDIE BROWN"  colour? Probably rust/muck in tank and its pulled some through, Did you clean out Tank

It was but I took the tank off and cleaned it out. Waiting for the new air filters now before I try setting it up. Does it matter which side the tines are fitted to ? I notice in the instructions they are colour coded left and right but any markings disappeared long ago, so if it does matter how do I tell which is which ?
                      regards Mick

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 01:17 »
You will need to clean the carb thoroughly as well.
May the fork be with you

jezza

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 19:34 »
hi Merrytiller tines only fit one way looking from the handlebar they should have a flat back the cutting edge faces the direction of rotation   make sure that the pins holding the tines to the drive shafts are the right way up, when pins are in the wire clips need to be over the top of the shaft otherwise the soil will eventually knock them out at £7.00 each theyre not cheap to replace if still available     jezza

chumpy7

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 15:37 »
All set up now and running sweet but it needs the incredible hulk to handle it. Spent 10 minutes with it this morning and it more or less does what it wants while I try to hold onto the handles like some sort of fairground ride. But it digs like a *, so I'll persevere with it.
              regards Mick

chumpy7

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 23:46 »
Took the machine out today for the first real go prior to getting my garlic in It's brilliant. Hard work but following all the advice offered here I got the job done in about an hour. All tilled to about 10" and ready for planting. One additional item I would recommend is a son 20 years younger than me, makes the job a lot easier.
                  regards Mick

clip
wolseley webb Centaur tiller B&S 5HP

Started by gardeninbloom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post September 15, 2021, 09:40
by R Tallentire
xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
merry tiller help

Started by nick1854 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post October 11, 2011, 17:11
by nick1854
xx
Merry Tiller help...

Started by Sadgit on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 09:03
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.