Lots of blood in the egg white?

• 4 Replies

Under The Hill

Lots of blood in the egg white?
« on: May 16, 2015, 13:15 »
I cracked an egg this morning to poach and there was a lot of blood inside, not just a blood spot.   I have found a picture on line (I will try and attach it) and although not my egg, it is exactly what the egg looked like.  I wonder what is wrong?  I have been slightly worried about the particular chicken whose egg it is (I know it is her egg,  as she is the only chicken to lay white eggs).  She has a what seems like a small bald patch, or a gap in her feathers around her neck about an inch long.  She won't let me catch her to look properly but I can't work out if she is just malting or whether the other two are pecking her.  I have never seen her being pecked.   What do you think is the reason there was so much blood in her egg?  We did not eat the egg :ohmy: urlhttp://farm6.static.flickr.com/5057/5465566900_51734daffd.jpg

bloody egg.jpg
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 13:21 by Under The Hill »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Lots of blood in the egg white?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 07:52 »
Blood spots are where a blood vessel ruptures when the yolk is released, but that is a lot of blood and would seem to indicate a bleed in the area where the white is attached to the yolk  :unsure:

I don't think pecking would cause this, but the bald patch is similar sounding to the feather pulling a cockerel can do when mating.  Female hens can copy male behaviour to assert their top spot in the pecking order, so one of the others may be grabbing her by the neck.  If it is just feather loss and no real injury, I wouldn't worry too much.

If the hen is hard to catch, that is a good sign that not much is wrong.  Keep an eye on her and hopefully this egg was a one off.  You certainly don't want that appearing too often in a frying pan  :ohmy:

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 08:34 »
Best to examine once gone to roost in evening. She should be quiet then. If she is difficult wait until she has been in a while and she will be half asleep/trancelike. It could be lice causing the patcg and will need to be treated.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Under The Hill

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 20:45 »
Thanks for replys if the feathers missing are from lice would I see them on her? Will try getting her when it is dusk great idea.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 07:02 »
You will see them if you part the feathers so you can see her skin.  They do seem to congregate around the rear end and on the neck.  You may also see eggs on the feathers around her bum. 

If it is lice, they will all have them, so treat them all.  If you don't see lice and it is only this hen with a bald patch, I would still go with a hen aping male behaviour to assert dominance and grabbing her by the neck.  They can be horrible little brutes to each other  ::)

xx
lots of blood!

Started by animartco on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 20:42
by bantam novice
xx
Small * lump from the vent lots of blood

Started by Alby on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 15:25
by Alby
xx
What looks like blood clots in egg white?

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 12:18
by chasechicken
xx
Lots of Questions!!

Started by FRUITFULL on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 04:19
by mother hen

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 40 queries.