Chase me! Chase me!

• 1 Replies

freebirdy

Chase me! Chase me!
« on: October 08, 2011, 10:19 »
Do chickens play games???
Kelly (my pure black Poland) is the instigator of what seems to be a game of tag!
She starts off by fluffing up, head down, wings down then charges forward to the nearest chookie and what ensues is a game of "tag" around the garden!
They're all at it! (apart from Worzel my cockerel who just stands in the middle of the mayhem looking completely bemused!)
They all chase Kelly round the garden, up on the deck, down the steps, through the flower beds, run circles around the drinkers, into the pond area, through the shrubbery then seem to change target and another one starts the game!
This has become a regular feature of their daily routeen. Kells starts it, others join in, Kells gets bored, another takes over, chase starts again!
Much bok-bokking goes on, mad dashes round the garden, jumping up and down and then more running around with lots of heads down-chase-me-come-get-me!
Hillarous to watch. My neighbours must think I'm mad. I stand there in the middle of this chaos laughing and watching my birds have a mad half hour.
This started a couple of weeks back and now seems to be developing into a daily habit. No pecking goes on, just the instigator (Kelly) charging up to whoever is nearest, starting the chase then havoc errupts! They all seem to enjoy it.
I know dog and cats enjoy playing but chooks???
Do I have certifiable chickens or this natural?
Which ever, it's so funny to watch, they all end up cream-crackered, puffed out and huddled down ready for round two!
I end up smiling, laughed myself to exhaustion and in need of a lay down!
Just watched todays round one, needed to ask if anyone else has witnessed this?!

themagicaltoad1

Re: Chase me! Chase me!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 19:03 »
The stance you describe is more of an aggressive stance, they're probably just re-asserting the pecking order. We're also in Fenny, whereabouts are you?

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 39 queries.