Am I supposed to vaccinate my birds??

• 15 Replies

Chookster

• Experienced Member
Am I supposed to vaccinate my birds??
« on: July 19, 2009, 19:33 »
I feel a bit worried that I've been told i don't need to vaccinate my birds but i will be selling eggs at farmers markets. Is this really ok?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Am I supposed to vaccinate my birds??
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 19:35 »
vaccines are sold in doses of about 1000 I think so most people who have and breed their own chickens don't vaccinate. If you buy from a breeder they may have vaccinated them as they are done from day 1.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 19:40 »
gosh so it's a bit hit and miss then.

well, what are the risks then of someone getting an illness from one of my birds? How can i prevent this from happening?

I know when bird flu comes full swing again that we're supposed to keep the birds in a covered area to prevent wild bird faeces from falling in your chicken area

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 20:19 »
have a look at the defra website regarding selling eggs at market
http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodrin/poultry/trade/marking/eggmarking-qa.htm

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 20:27 »
is it me or was that confusing  :lol: :lol: .

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 20:30 »
chookster how many birds do you have ?
if you are going to sell at farmers markets you need to be rejestered and eggs graded I believe. I think a lot of regs to sell them.

\(well, what are the risks then of someone getting an illness from one of my birds? How can i prevent this from happening?)

are you talking about bird flu ? keep your hens in good condition and clean. you dont let anyone but close family members near your hens . I was told this by a breeder no just for the spread of deases but there are peps out there that will steal hens to sell on etc. He locked his up at night and let his dogs out to protect them. He did live away from his hens.

(I know when bird flu comes full swing again that we're supposed to keep the birds in a covered area to prevent wild bird faeces from falling in your chicken area
[/quote])
yes lets hope it does not, but as the virus changes each time makes it diffucult.
the last lot started off with birds and humans not using good hygine procedures they were liveing with there birds I believe.  healthy hens and healthy humans perfect world education is the key IMHO.

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 20:35 »
Hi looby, most of it is waffle but basically anybody selling eggs to the final consumer either graded or not, at public markets will have to register with defra regardless of how many hens they have and stamp their eggs. This has no effect on people who sell at their gates.

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 20:41 »
cheers joyfull for putting that into plain english  :lol: :lol: theres some things that i just dont always understand ohh ok my brian has just died its getting ready for a very very dull week of going to work to do no work   :lol:

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 21:00 »
my brian has just died its getting ready for a very very dull week of going to work to do no work   :lol:

Hope you meant your brain had just died rather than Brian!!  :lol: :lol:
If not then sorry about your loss xx

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 21:07 »
 :lol: :lol:  :lol: can i get away with saying i am tired  :unsure:

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 21:12 »
 :lol: :lol:, thats alright I get dyslexic when tired  :lol:

karlooben

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 21:24 »
so glad i aint the only one  and on that note i am of to bed  :lol: nite nite

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 22:55 »
ah... i've registered with defra and the poultry register - as i don't have 50 birds I am allowed to sell them ungraded and unstamped to customers at farmers markets, at the gate, friends/family etc.

If i have over 50 it all changes.  I am not however, allowed to sell my hens eggs to local pubs, restaurants etc as it stands with my situation.

However, I am allowed to sell my quails and quails eggs to whoever i like i'm told by the powers that be.

it's mostly the salmonella and cocc thing i was concerned about.  I thought you could get a jab or water med to do this but apparently i don't have enough birds to warrant having to do this.  This I find hard to understand how it is different - is it because less birds equals less chance of diseases spreading as they should hopefully be less cramped??/easier to control??

the cocc thing i have read that deep litter system holds as a pretty strong barrier agains this in conjunction with fair ventilation.  I'm certainly giving it a go. And chicks have a stronger immune system to it if they're put on deep litter at least 8 weeks old apparently? I guess it's just like having a flu jab, having a bit of the germ exposed to you

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 23:33 »
I can never understand why people do the 'deep litter' thing, I find that chicks need cleaning every 4 -5 days (after the initial 2 days of newspaper and sandpaer) or otherwise the smell is terrible, and can't be healthy for them.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 11:18 »
I can never understand why people do the 'deep litter' thing, I find that chicks need cleaning every 4 -5 days (after the initial 2 days of newspaper and sandpaer) or otherwise the smell is terrible, and can't be healthy for them.

Michelle xx

i think it's all about managing manure as they say or in this case more ammonia... i was a bit baffled at first but have a look at this...(you might already know all this stuff but it may be useful to someone)

the results are worth considering on a bigger scale and of course it's well rotted compost in my case

http://www.plamondon.com/faq_deep_litter.html

question
How can i vaccinate my chicks ?

Started by dchubbuk on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 13:55
by ANHBUC
xx
vaccinate my chicks,,,, please help

Started by wells101 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 22:56
by GrannieAnnie
xx
3rd time lucky - I hatched some eggs/chicks. Should I vaccinate?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 22:32
by nuzuki
xx
Supposed to be a SLW

Started by PhilDotte on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2011, 17:05
by Casey76

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 37 queries.