Hatched 2 chicks

• 18 Replies

Geo

• Experienced Member
Hatched 2 chicks
« on: August 03, 2015, 17:35 »
2 chicks hatched yesterday on day 21. unfortunately 1 was found dead under the hen. She is still sitting on 2 eggs, how long do I leave her sitting on these eggs? I have read on another website that they can hatch as late as 25 days. Thanks in advance. Geo

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hatched 2 chicks
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 09:05 »
leave her on the eggs, she will get off them when she feels they are no longer viable. I have had them hatch as late as 27 days.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 09:35 »
thanks for the reply. I was beginning to lose faith. first time hatching eggs.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 23:22 »
No more chicks have hatched. checked one of the eggs and it is full of liquid. other one has had something in it and will leave it another few days.
It looks like I will end up with one chick. What I would like to know is do I still put the hen back in with the other hens when the chick is around 4 to 5 weeks old?. I do not think it is right to rear the chick on it's own ,can I leave the hen in with the chick and introduce them to the other hens together.

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 18:36 »
No more chicks have hatched. checked one of the eggs and it is full of liquid. other one has had something in it and will leave it another few days.
It looks like I will end up with one chick. What I would like to know is do I still put the hen back in with the other hens when the chick is around 4 to 5 weeks old?. I do not think it is right to rear the chick on it's own ,can I leave the hen in with the chick and introduce them to the other hens together.

Keep them together and introduce them to the flock together. Chickens are social birds and won't thrive when on their own.  Once the chick is a few weeks old, try and put them near the other hens so that they can see each other - similar to the way you would introduce a new bird. Your hen will now have slipped out of the pecking order, so there may be a few squabbles when you put her and the chick back in with the main flock, but it will be a brave hen who tries to take on a hen with a chick!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 19:43 »
mine have always mixed from just a couple of days old. The mum will gather the chick under her to protect if the others start, but mine do free range. After about 6 weeks the mum then joins the other girls in the main coup and if the chick doesn't follow (I have had just 1 hatch as well) I pop it in over night.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 22:49 »
Thanks for the reply. I will leave her with the chick and try introducing in about 6-8 weeks.
Geo

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 09:01 »
Thanks for the reply. I will leave her with the chick and try introducing in about 6-8 weeks.
Geo

Mom may want away before this. They are all different ::)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:02 by Sassy »
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

TashaH

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 20:20 »
I was seeking advice about this, as my broody hen has a now 4 day old chick, and 4 other eggs she is still sitting on. I had to move her to clean her potty area as it smelt so bad, and I could not see any pips or cracks on the eggs she is still tending to. The eggs were laid on a Friday, she settled on the Saturday, new chick arrived 20 days in but the rest are now at 24 days. I will give her some more time as aside from getting up to stretch her legs and show Chickpea the ropes, she is straight back down on them.

Helenaj

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 06:05 »
Hang on in there a couple of days more, I've had eggs hatch at 25 days and some on here up to day 27.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 22:20 »
The hen eventually gave up sitting on the eggs around the 27th day. I removed them and gave a shake ,they were full of liquid so no chick inside. There was no way I was cracking the eggs open.
Hen and chick doing great.

TashaH

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 19:58 »
My girl is still sitting on her eggs, although one was kicked out over night which was then stepped on and the rotten mess exploded up her nest wall  :ohmy: so no chick there  :(  Now down to 3 eggs, day 26....  Will give until Saturday.

TashaH

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 19:59 »
The hen eventually gave up sitting on the eggs around the 27th day. I removed them and gave a shake ,they were full of liquid so no chick inside. There was no way I was cracking the eggs open.
Hen and chick doing great.

1 chick better than none :) Seems will be the same for me :)

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 18:04 »
The chick is now 16 weeks old and the mother is still with her. The mother has been really good and still gives her first  pick at any food that is put in helping her break it up. Today I put them in the run with the other hens. WW3 broke out and she had to fight her own battles and the chicks,things calmed down after a while.
Went out and checked after dark and all the hens were in the coop apart from the chick. She was picked up and placed into the coop beside the others. I was dreading today and swore that I would not be hatching anymore then again i enjoyed bringing new life into the run.

TashaH

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 21:16 »
I am glad your chick made it to the big coop! I would imagine mummy will soon loose interest as my girl did, but chickpea flourished in the big run, settling in very well until she got poorly :(

Stressful but rewarding :)

xx
New Chicks hatched

Started by Bailz on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 18:30
by evie2
xx
2 chicks hatched

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 08:34
by Bobbie
xx
Chicks have hatched but worried about 2 of them

Started by jaxchucks on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 19:09
by Chickway
xx
more questions on hatched chicks...sorry

Started by needssomehelp on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 17, 2011, 11:03
by Casey76

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 39 queries.