rats

• 35 Replies

Ropster

rats
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 19:51 »
We have had Rats in our garden and have tried the Snap traps, which worked but sometimes you get birds which is not nice
The cage trap also works but then you have to kill the rat yourself which isn't great
but the blue grain poison from rentokill(you can buy it in homebase or b&Q appears to do the job after a few days the rats dont come back for a while
I made a tunnel trap out of wood with poison inside and filled it up every day untill it wasnt eaten any more

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
rats
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 20:00 »
we've tried bait in a tray with success  - found one dead in the bottom o the compost.

we've tried a trap - with success, but also got mice, blackbird's tail and worst of all a wren.  i wouldn't set it again after the wren

so now we have one of those bait boxes so the bait is more contained.

kezlou

rats
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 11:14 »
Just some for some advice from a hardened pigeon man who's had to deal rats year after year.

He tried putting dried rice in a toilet roll tube near the entrance where the rats were coming through.  Apparently birds and some rats can't digest rice properly and makes them full. Unfortunately an horrific side affect is the rice expands in the stomach during digestion and can kill them.  
He said the rats filled up on rice and died.

Another option is get a ferret or a terrier they'll soon get rid of them.
We now have both and have never had a problems with rats or mice since.
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

Ruby Red

rats
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 14:41 »
Quote from: "jennyb"
we've tried bait in a tray with success  - found one dead in the bottom o the compost.

we've tried a trap - with success, but also got mice, blackbird's tail and worst of all a wren.  i wouldn't set it again after the wren

so now we have one of those bait boxes so the bait is more contained.

I think with a snap trap you have to give careful thought what to bait it with. I used chocolate and a piece of lamb on mine. Anything like cheese or bread/pastry based is going to be attractive to birds.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

spud

• Experienced Member
rats
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 15:33 »
Buy a good poison, cheaper options you mix yourself are difficult to get right, so don't work.

Don't buy poison if it is red in colour, this is an older series, you want the blue coloured ones, more up to date.

i would recommend a brand called 'Storm' it is small soap bars (I call them) it is a bar of fat and rats and mice love them, it will get rid of them for you.

get several plastic drums 15 - 20 litre size cut an entrance hole and an exit hole (rat size) drop your bars in and it keep them safe from other birds and animals.

I'd say this is similar to 'Storm'   http://www.solwayfeeders.com/productsdetail1.asp?STOCK_CODE=3294A

Cheers

:)
Best Regards,

spud

vegmandan

rats
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 15:34 »
Do you know any one with a Jack Russell ?

That would sort it out no problem.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
rats
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 17:17 »
Hello Mr Weasel

This is a problem I can totally identify with and in fact the very day you posted your message on here I had arranged for a pest control guy to come in and deal with my rat.

Like you I have only ever seen one rat and he also visited the garden (around the bird table) every other day or so at the same time. I was expecting to see lots of them after this but only ever saw the one.

Came the day, came the man...with large black plastic trap with 2 entry points and inside 2 square areas for the packets of poison (blue grain like stuff inside polythene bags). He also laid poison under roof tiles around the areas the rat visits. He told me they are normally nocturnal and that if I watched the garden during the night I would see a lot more of the brown monsters.

He offered me several options from one off charge to annual subscription etc and in the end I bought the trap which is really strong plastic - commercial type for £15 and his charge for the visit in total cost me £60. I don't think it was very cheap but I was anxious to get problem dealt with.

He suggested buying only Rentakil poison (blue stuff) and said to check the box in about 2 weeks. He reckons they eat it  and then go back to burrow to die - occasionally they die in trap but this is rare. Birds and hedgehogs dont touch it and he has it well covered so I am hopeful that no harm will come to any wildlife.

I put my trust in him as thats all you can do when you know nothing about how to deal with vermin. I used to have a Jack Russell cross and never saw a rat then but he passed away a few years ago aged 17 and I haven't had the heart to replace him. However, I don't think he ever caught a rat but maybe it was enough with him being here.

Finally - this rat man did tell me that in London they have no answer to the rat and cockroach problem at all. They are immune to all poisons now and all they can do is try to keep the numbers down - and he reckons they are failing miserably.....nice  :shock:
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
rats
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 19:53 »
thanks for the advice everyone, just finished my shifts for this week so i`m gonna buy some better poison i think, its been down a week and the poison is untouched both in the bag and out.

i have been doing some research and alot of the articles say that its better to have a weaker poison as the rat wont touch it if it eats a bit and it makes him feel ill but survives.
is this contrary to modern techniques? as the roban poison mentioned seems to be advertised as one feed kills so to speak.

Ruby Red

rats
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 21:30 »
Gosh my council came last week and didnt charge anything. And I got a follow up visit. She said they are obliged to do it free for rats because of the potential bigger problems. If they chardged ppl wouldnt ring them.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
rats
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 21:47 »
our council doesnt have pest control, u have to 'ring a private company'

jack russell

rats
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 22:16 »
Quote from: "Rampant_Weasel"
our council doesnt have pest control, u have to 'ring a private company'

Councils are duty bound by law i am told :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Maryann

• Experienced Member
rats
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 15:36 »
:(  %*$*%*   :(

Bu*ger....never thought to ask the Council. Though, knowing our lot they would charge more than private guy....oh well you live and learn.

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
rats
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 17:15 »
Find someone with an air rifle, they are easy to bait with peanut butter or potato peelings soaked in boiling water. Poison is generally unreliable as the rats often by-passes it for something easier or tastier. We tried using it on one of our farms last year and spent £90 per hour having Rentokill in with poison and traps.

Didn't work until we started to shoot them at night with air guns, only then did we realise the extent of the problem shooting 2500 in less than six months.

They breed like rabbits producing 9-12 young usually every other month. It all came to a head when one of them bit my friends 4 year old on his ankle, hence the need for their removal.
Gardening with intent to cultivate.

swede

rats
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 18:51 »
Quote from: "Rampant_Weasel"
thanks for the advice everyone, just finished my shifts for this week so i`m gonna buy some better poison i think, its been down a week and the poison is untouched both in the bag and out.

i have been doing some research and alot of the articles say that its better to have a weaker poison as the rat wont touch it if it eats a bit and it makes him feel ill but survives.
is this contrary to modern techniques? as the roban poison mentioned seems to be advertised as one feed kills so to speak.

:wink: Re your rats, I'm led to believe they can't regurgitat anything they eat and they can eat almost anything without getting ill. The other thing is that peanuts acts as a antidote against poison. Keep thinking them up. I think the rats are winning at the moment :twisted: Swede
Old age is a gift to all in time.Enjoy it!

Maryann

• Experienced Member
rats
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 12:32 »
Quote from: "WhippetMaster"
Find someone with an air rifle, they are easy to bait with peanut butter or potato peelings soaked in boiling water. Poison is generally unreliable as the rats often by-passes it for something easier or tastier. We tried using it on one of our farms last year and spent £90 per hour having Rentokill in with poison and traps.

Didn't work until we started to shoot them at night with air guns, only then did we realise the extent of the problem shooting 2500 in less than six months.

They breed like rabbits producing 9-12 young usually every other month. It all came to a head when one of them bit my friends 4 year old on his ankle, hence the need for their removal.

This is where I am confused and I'm sure Rampant_Weasel (there must be a story to that name???) is the same as me. We both have only ever seen one rat during the day so if they breed as you say (and I am not doubting you) why aren't we seeing dozens of the bu*gers running around? I know this might not be the same rat, although mine also follows the exact same routine every day, but even so where are all the young ones going to - and why aren't my neighbours complaining about rats in the garden?

Rats eh! what a lovely subject to be discussing - almost as good as the urine in the compost thread  :lol:

wireless
rats

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 20:24
by richyrich7
xx
RAts

Started by Ramsbury Allotments on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 17:28
by dugless
xx
Rats

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 21:21
by Paul Plots
xx
Rats

Started by chimaera on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 21:43
by Minty

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 36 queries.