« on: June 25, 2020, 14:05 »
Peartree Anyone know what this is on the Leaf
A17585BD-EC12-4D67-B9BC-00B8A36ABC04.jpeg
62F3658A-B611-4846-814D-40690DD93809.jpeg
metal detector man

jambop

Re: Peartree
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 14:56 »
I have had that on my pear trees before. It could be pear leaf blight ... but it could, and I think probably is, also be another issue caused by blister mites tiny insects that bite and suck the sap.

jezza

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 21:02 »
Hello I've been in my Pest Diseases and Disorders book its showing aphids Homoptera Aphididea as a possible cause or Sooty mould which  lives on the secretions of aphids  jezza

jambop

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 21:15 »
Hello I've been in my Pest Diseases and Disorders book its showing aphids Homoptera Aphididea as a possible cause or Sooty mould which  lives on the secretions of aphids  jezza

It could be jezza but aphids are very easy to spot on any plant and would probably still be present on the tree. Blister mites are apparently so small you can't see them very well at all. I have had this on my trees this year in fact and never seen any aphids... or blister mites for that matter  :lol:

mdjlucan

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 01:34 »
What treatment for this problem also will it kill the tree Also when is the best time to prune this  tree back thanks

jambop

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 08:47 »
What treatment for this problem also will it kill the tree Also when is the best time to prune this  tree back thanks
If it is blister mite, I think there is a strong possibility it is, there is no treatment available but do not worry your tree will not die. Do not even remove the affected leaves as this is more harmful than the damage to the leaf. Apparently these mites over winter on the outside of the leaf buds and then get into the leaves as the emerge they are so mall the actually live inside the leaves and damage individual cells. It could be worthwhile when the tree is dormant in the late winter spraying the tree with some winter wash that rids the tree of over wintering insect eggs and larva... may not cure the problem but I don't think it will do any harm anyway.
 If it is due to aphids have a look and see if you can spot any, if you can see them spray with any proprietary in greenfly remedy . Good luck!

clip
Peartree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2015, 17:17
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 45 queries.