Tasteless Ailsa Craig tomatoes - why?

• 3 Replies

ceba

Tasteless Ailsa Craig tomatoes - why?
« on: September 02, 2022, 07:56 »
I知 a polytunnel newbie and I grew Ailsa Craigs for the first time this year. In your polls they were given great ratings for taste, however, mine seem to be pretty tasteless so far. They are grown amongst my Sungolds which are completely delicious! What have I done wrong?

Can anyone recommend a better variety for next year? Thank you.

Growster...

Re: Tasteless Ailsa Craig tomatoes - why?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 12:18 »
It's been an odd year for toms, because the heat just mucked the timing around for the later varieties!

Sungold are always pretty quick, and need harvesting very quickly or they burst, so watering is very important and you've clearly won that one, but AC aren't always the best for flavour under the same circumstances if there's too much water IMHO!

Can I suggest Shirley next year? They have a fabulous flavour and somehow have bucked the trend better than others here, but also try San Marzano, which have been terrific so far! Our Roma haven't done well at all though...

ceba

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 07:03 »
Thanks for that Growster, it痴 really helpful. I値l have a go at those other varieties next year, but I知 also not quite ready to give up on the Ailsa Craigs; I didn稚 realise that watering can affect taste. This gardening lark is fascinating and frustrating and exciting and demoralising all at the same time! I love it!

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 18:08 »
You're welcome, Ceba!

In fact Goosegirl alerted me to the point of taking toms a good while after they've been watered, as the taste is more concentrated if they've had to fight a bit!

It's different every year, and we've only today just discovered the 'benefits' of planting some 'waif and stray' Shirley toms which were left over from the rest, possibly even cuttings (sideshoots planted on their own a bit later in the season), and they've produced a fabulous crop all by themselves! We just chucked them in near the runner beans and forgot about them!

Some you win...;0)

xx
Ailsa Craig, can anyone help? :]

Started by danfergie123 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 16:51
by danfergie123
xx
Ailsa Craig Tomato

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 24, 2017, 09:06
by DIGGER
xx
Ailsa Craig toms outdoors?

Started by VeggieVirgin on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2011, 19:58
by shokkyy
xx
Does anyone have any tips for growing Ailsa Craig onions?

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 20:24
by Kristen

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 39 queries.