D.I.Y. beehive and beekeeping.

• 3 Replies

Kleftiwallah

D.I.Y. beehive and beekeeping.
« on: April 23, 2012, 17:22 »
I've aquired a gurt stack of marine ply offcuts and I'm thinking of constructing a beehive to help the little buzzy things and to help them help me by polination round the garden.

Anyone got any thoughts, plans, been there done that stories?    ;)   Cheers,     Tony.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 18:16 by Kleftiwallah »
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Gwiz

Re: D.I.Y. beehive and beekeeping.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 18:06 »
Several of the guys at work are into bee keeping. If you want to know anything specific I could ask for you. They maybe able to give me the contact names/club details for local groups in your area.
As for the hives, I think most people buy them as a self assembly kit as they are rather detailed inside with queen chambers and what not (you can tell I know next to nothing about the subject!)

Swing Swang

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 19:26 »
help them help me by polination round the garden.

Anyone got any thoughts, plans, been there done that stories?    ;)   Cheers,     Tony.

Thoughts - what's your primary reason for wanting bees? If it's to help pollinate then you'll not be wanting to bother with honey bees which will go to where the nectar flow is greatest and could 'bypass' your garden if your neighbour has a few trees in full blossom, or if there is a field of r@pe 200yards down the road. If this is the case then you'll be looking at boxes for bumble and mason bees.

If you want honey bees then you need to consider how you are going to manage them, how pretty you want your hives to look, how precise your woodworking skills are etc. I keep coming back to the idea of making a Warre hive. Plans for these are free on the web and don't demand the precise woodworking skills of a moveable frame hive, but you could easily offend a traditional beekeeper.

If it's honeybees that you're after then do something quickly because, 'a swarm of bees in May is worth a bale of hay'

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 21:00 »
If it is just for pollination you are probably better trying to attract bumble bees and other solitary bees. Honeybees are a big commitment and and amazingly rewarding but that are a lot to take on if you just want pollination.

Bumble bee houses can also be made and i'm sure that there are plenty of plans on the internet.

If you do want to go down the route of keeping honeybees then the best way is to get in touch with your local beekeeping association. they are amazingly helpful and provide training and support.
I have been beekeeping for a year and am constantly amazed by them and terrified by how little I know. Being responsible for about 30, 000 little lives is a big task!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
Beekeeping questionnaire

Started by GilbertJessop on Pets without Feathers

0 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 20:53
by GilbertJessop
xx
Beekeeping - this has me hooked

Started by FCG on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 07:32
by elibump
xx
Budget beekeeping anyone?

Started by Dreamer@45 on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post April 16, 2011, 17:33
by kevinp
xx
Can anyone suggest good beekeeping books...

Started by elibump on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 14:06
by elibump

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 38 queries.