Recommend a book

• 23 Replies

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
Recommend a book
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 11:34 »
It's great to see that some of us still use older versions of their reliable  reference guides.  I'll be trawling ebay for some of those recommendations.

For me Dr. Hessayon is less of a book and more of a bible.
The best thing about it is that you can pop it in your bag and take it to the allotment with you.   My copy is covered in dirt and has, on occasion, been held open with trowels and house bricks.

Carole Klein's Grow your Own Veg is excellent and a handy-ish size. Anything RHS related is always a winner for me.

Allan Titchmarsh 's book is huge.  It's much prettier than the others but it's size makes it impractical to take to the plot. OK it's a coffee table book. I've only ever read it with my feet up in  when it was cold and dark out side.  Which is a good thing.  

Both of these books are excellent for a novice like me.

John Harrison's book is great.  Another one that will fit in your bag.

To help with this years projects I have also recently bought Dr Hessayon's three books on Green houses pests and fruit.  Currently all three books cost less than £7 each new on the mighty Amazon.  Used they are even cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=flatten%3D1%26search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Hessayon&x=22&y=24
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

Goosegirl

Recommend a book
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 16:53 »
Organic Gardening by HDRA, Fruit and Vegetable Garening RHS book, The Complete Book of Vegetables, Herbs and Fruit by Matthew Biggs (a fascinating read too) or Organic Gardening by my hero Geoff Hamilton are all good. I find that every good book has bits that you can learn from and also each one has a bit of info that you haven't read before. Just read as many as you can find (charity shops are good for bargains) and go with your instinct as to which is the method that best suits you. Good luck and happy reading!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

r1bazza

Recommend a book
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 15:50 »
We have this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grow-Your-Own-Vegetables-Larkcom/dp/071121963X

Which has become our bible;we also have some others by Bob Flowerdew(the better half even got one of them signed :roll: ),Monty Don and Geoff Hamilton.We also have some good old wartime books which are very readable but do mention loads of chemicals long since banned.

Might be worthwhile having a look in your local library to see what they have.

Oh and Alan Titchmarshes latest is quite good,easily readable with a lot of common sense;
  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Gardener-Grow-Your-Fruit/dp/1846072018/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232293801&sr=1-2
  And Carol Kleins book is good too,our WH Smiths has it on offer with her veg cookery book as well(can't remember how much though)
Once upon a time I could control myself

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Recommend a book
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 15:48 »
An inspirational read is "cost effective self sufficiency or the middle class peasant" oldish book out of print but available at amazon, it's brill.

Thanks Richy ordered this from Amazon @ £4.99 S/H. Arrived this morning been dipping in and out all day.......will read a bit more this eve.....lot of common sense in there....looks a good un  :)

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
Book City!
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 20:52 »
I've got loads of books, mostly good:

Andi Clevely - Allotment Book + Planner
Food from your garden/allotment - Readers Digest (modern update as well as the original 1974 version!)
The Kitchen Gardner - Alan Titchmarsh
Grow your own (Veg and Fruit) and Journal - Carol Klein
Self Sufficient Gardner - John Seymour
Hessayon...endless, including Veg/Fruit/Greenhouse expert

worth trawling for these ont net, I've just got the Titchmarsh one for £8 and the Carol Klein "Grow your Own Fruit" is currently £4.99 on The book People.co.uk

All recommended for these long winter nights...

Phill

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Recommend a book
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 21:37 »
Quote from: "mumofstig"
An inspirational read is "cost effective self sufficiency or the middle class peasant" oldish book out of print but available at amazon, it's brill.

Thanks Richy ordered this from Amazon @ £4.99 S/H. Arrived this morning been dipping in and out all day.......will read a bit more this eve.....lot of common sense in there....looks a good un  :)

:D  I love that book, when I start loosing my way, I just pick it up and get fired up again, like I said old but still very valid esp in todays economic climate.
Hope it brings you as much pleasure as my copy has me.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Recommend a book
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 21:47 »
I've got Johns book, John Seymores New Guide to self sufficiency, Vegetable gardeners bible and a load of others including enough gardening mags to fill a doctors waiting room but I've just ordered  another book from Amazon .... can't wait for it to arrive - I know that most of the books have the same or similar advice, I just love reading about different things in different writing styles!

One of the old fellas at the allotment said that you can't learn anything from a gardening book;  I'd say that he is wrong because the books are full of useful tips but this site is the best place to get the best advice from!  :D

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
Recommend a book
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 22:00 »
I would say that the Joy Larkcom is definitely the way to go. It's certainly the most comprehensive information wise. Like John's book - which is also excellent - it's not a coffee table book and has no colour pictures, just heaps of great advice. These are the two books I actually take down the plot to refer to. I have lots of other gardening books - just bought another huge tome today actually - but usually just admire the pretty pictures in them! I'm an absolute bookaholic - I have hundreds (yes, hundreds!) of cookery books and I can see the gardening books going the same way! Hope this helps  :)

Njal

Recommend a book
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 11:07 »
Well Joy Larkham's book arrived two days ago and I have been glued to it ever since.

I love the way it is set out, with a stron emphasis on organic or at least minimal chemical intervention.

It had some really good advice on soil and made me realise that one of the main problems in our veg patch is drainage - I dug a spade and a half deep and found solid clay!
So will be removing some of that and putting in drainage measures.
That does explain why our entire garden gets waterlogged despite me digging the whole thing over when I moved in - I just didn't go deep enough!

This book has really got me itching to get at the plot, and I managed an hour there yesterday but the rains have come today unfortunately!

I think Hessayon's book is more useful in terms of sowing and harvesting times, though. I even have The Vegetable Jotter which is even more at-a-glance.

xx
Recommend me a good veg book

Started by Chuffy on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post December 01, 2008, 22:59
by peapod
xx
Recommend a pea

Started by Loftuz on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 11:26
by mumofstig
xx
PH Testing Kit - Can anyone recommend

Started by RebeccaM on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 17:33
by andy135
xx
Recommend a squash

Started by richy on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post January 19, 2012, 10:01
by tonel

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 40 queries.