Chick with leg problem

• 9 Replies

trinamc

• Experienced Member
Chick with leg problem
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:23 »
Hi I am new to chicken keeping, I have 7, 3 week old buff orpington chicks they are all very healthy apart from 1 it has a leg that is twisted to the side, it does not appear to be in pain and is eating and drinking, this has only happened over the last couple of days. Should I be worried and is there anything I can do to correct it.

NormandyMary

Re: Chick with leg problem
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 19:39 »
Hi there. Welcome to our world. I think that Joyfull will move you over to the other site, where all the problem solving goes on. One thing, pictures always help in making a diagnosis, so any chance you could post one asap to assist. Im afraid Im no good with baby chicks, I always get older birds. Im sure someone will give you good advice though. Keep us informed re little one's progress wont you?!

Mary.

NormandyMary

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 15:14 »
Hey folks, can anyone help this new member with their problem please? Im no good with baby chooks.

Mary.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 17:19 »
Grannie, Joyfull, and many others here have experience with young birds.  I'm not sure how they've missed this question.  Thanks for the reminder Mary !

trinamc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 10:18 »
Hi

Just thought I would update you, chick still seems to be ok, after talking to an expert in raising chicks his(not sure what he is yet so call them all he's) his leg has been splinted and it seems to be having the desired effect but only time will tell. Thanks for the replies and I will try to keep you up to date.  :)

Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 11:11 »
I was going to sugest that you put a splint on to the leg. At this age the bones are still very soft and they go back very easily. Make sure that the top of the splint is not rubbing her skin and making it sore. I always put plenty of cotton wool around the top.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 21:50 »
Hi sorry but have been away on holiday for the past week which is why I hadn't seen this post (went the day of posting). How is the chick doing now?
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 16:33 »
It never came up on my unread posts since last visit, so didn't see it, sorry!

I've had spraddle leg chicks, but not a twisted leg.  So maybe a splint would hold it straight, but I can't think of what else.  You wouldn't be able to tape it like I do a spraddle leg would you?

But would the chick be able to stand up and sit down with a splint on?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 16:36 »
the only leg problem I have had with one of my chicks was a dislocated leg and I wonder if this is what yours had. Perhaps by strapping it up it is giving the socket time to grow much the same as when a newborn baby has hip trouble and they have to be in plaster to keep them in a certain position. Fingers crossed for the little one  :)

trinamc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 14:33 »
Hi

Thanks to every one, the chick is ok still eating and drinking the splint is still in place and chick is still able to get around in the box it is in- I put it in a clear box in the brooder because when the others were running around they knocked it over so I thought this was the best solution they can all see it and it isn't on it's own. will let you know how we get on. :)

xx
Problem with day old chick

Started by reecelily on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 06:49
by joyfull
question
Chick problem

Started by Big Jen on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 00:08
by Big Jen
xx
chick problem

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 03, 2012, 19:33
by joyfull
xx
chick problem

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 11:11
by rileyfin

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 33 queries.