Introducing new hens

• 3 Replies

Chicken Pete

Introducing new hens
« on: October 11, 2010, 16:33 »
I know there has been some earlier communication re this subject but I would like some advice on the following..
I have brought 4 new hens to replace some I recently lost, they have been quarantined in a run next to the rest of the hens,hopefully, getting used to each other :ohmy: :ohmy: When I put them in together there was the expected ruffling of feathers,etc so I did not  worry too much.
However the new hens now refuse to leave the coop and if I coax them out they just run back in. Should I leave them but put some food in there for them as I do not want them to go without food. Unfortunately there are 2/3 fairly dominating hens and these 4 are much younger.
You input would be very much appreciated.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Introducing new hens
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 20:00 »
HI Pete.
I have just recently intergrated two blacrocks into my lot, like yours for a few days they didnt want to leave the coop, I left them to sort themselves out and they have, keep checking them to make sure there is no injurys and the new ones are getting water and feed.
I found after about day 4 they started to venture out more and became more confident, I also puts lots of things in the run to keep the others occupied and strung up several pieces of food like cabbage or beet leaves so they all got chance to get some, I am now 2 weeks in and they all just get on with it, the odd peck here and there.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 20:16 »
make sure you have several feeders, drinkers and hiding places for them. If you put feed into the coop they may never leave it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chicken Pete

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 16:54 »
Aidy/Joyfull
Many thanks for you input/advice, will action as mentioned.

xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Introducing new hens

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 15, 2009, 19:24
by Blarney
xx
Introducing Hens Q?

Started by iwantanallotment on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 22:00
by iwantanallotment

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 39 queries.