An Olive Tree in Winter

• 3 Replies

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
An Olive Tree in Winter
« on: October 17, 2010, 12:16 »
Hi.

i know the hard weather is not yet upon us, but in the interest of being able to prepare how best do I look after my baby olive tree?

I planted it as a stanard this summer but have left it to grow "shaggy" and it seems happy enough with the arrangement. I give it a mulch of grass clippings and rotted chicken poo.  It faces south and has good access to sunshine from the east through to the west although there are fences not too far away providing some protection from the wind . Will I need fleece and what bits do I cover, i.e. roots, branches etc.?

All suggestions gratefully received.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: An Olive Tree in Winter
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:49 »
Our olive is about 5 years in the pot now and we have never done anything to protect it, it looks really good and flowers every spring. Your's should do even better in the ground, they are pretty hardy. :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 16:35 »
Other than the above, I would ensure that it is raised off the ground on feet - to ensure maximum drainage.  They can withstand cold winters but cold and wet will not do them any good.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

catllar

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 15:23 »
I've got three in my garden, all in the ground aging from 5yrs to 500yrs old. We are on heavy clay so ours grow our in a well-gravelled bed slightly raised up above the natural soil level.  We fed them when they were planted but they've had nothing since ( the first one went in 10 years ago)  So if I were you, I'd get rid of the mulch - they hate wet and damp and they don't need chicken poo. We water ours only twice a year once in May and once again in August. That and the autumn rain is enough.  Of course if it's in a pot ( yours isn't though) it'll need a drop more water. If anything is going to give up, it'll be the top but once established they come again from the bottom, so if you really want to do it a favour, cover the top with fleece. Here they are grown as a crop, we are at 350M altitude and get cold Mediterranean winters. They are not protected here and are planted up on little mounds to ensure the roots are well drained. Hope this helps!

xx
Olive Tree

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post September 20, 2021, 20:39
by mumofstig
xx
Olive tree

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2021, 16:01
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Olive Tree

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2018, 17:26
by mrs bouquet
xx
Olive

Started by Livinhope on General Gardening

18 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 10:02
by tosca100

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 35 queries.