My worzel is a poorly boy "UPDATE."

• 5 Replies

freebirdy

• I'd rather be insane than boring!
My worzel is a poorly boy "UPDATE."
« on: November 18, 2011, 20:16 »
After a week of battling infection on his own my poor worzel took a turn for the worst today.  :(  
trip to the poultry vet and my breeders diagnosis was spot on! Air sack infection. So he was right to say hold off, don't rush off, let him fight it by himself to start. Only when he stops eating and drinking is he losing the battle. That day came today. None of the rest of my flock are ill so seemed as if poor Worzel has an isolated infection.
After battling bravely since Saturday, today the boy was rattling and wheezing horribly. Phone call to Frank and he diagnosed the air sack infection and said time for the vet.
So off we went and yes he was right! Vet confirmed it. So now I've got to inject worzel ever 48hours!!  :ohmy:
Bit fiffey about sticking a ruddy great needle into my brave boy but I'm sure I can do it!  :(
Been told by the vet this may be a long process of recovery for my boy so fingers crossed he picks up soon.  :)  He has backed up everything I was told by Frank about not rushing into getting antibiotics and said it was a good idea to let him try to fight the infection on his own as he was building natural resistance.
Come on Worzel you ladies need you! Get better soon!
Anyone else had to deal with administering injections to their chooks - how did you get on?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:47 by freebirdy »
1 fiance, 3 kids, 1 fish, 1 cat, 9 poland bantams, 6 Barbu de Watermael, 2 allotment plots and not enough time!

NormandyMary

Re: My worzel is a poorly boy
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 20:26 »
I know that when Monty had an injection at the vets, she had to find a fleshy bit, and she had a problem getting the needle in. When I gave Monty the antibiotics, I had to get them down his throat with a syringe, not inject (luckily). All the very best with Worzel, Ill be thinking of you both.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 08:13 »
good luck with treating him, do keep us posted  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

freebirdy

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 22:42 »
So far so good.  :D I administerd his second jab today, and to be honest I don't know what I was worying about! He layed on his side nicely, and the injection went without a hitch! He's rattling a little bit now but I have to pick him up to hear it, unlike Friday when I could hear him from half way down the garden!!  :ohmy:
he's eating and drinking but not had a crow out of him (yet) I will feel even better when I get greeted with his usual racket in the morning!   :lol:

freebirdy

Re: My worzel is a poorly boy "UPDATE."
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 08:49 »
Back to the vets today for a check up. Worzel is still rattling and wheezing but not so much as last week. Poor boy keeps trying to crow but it just comes out as a strangled gurgle!! Think the vet will probably extend the period of antibiotics. At least he's eating and drinking. I just so want him to get better!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: My worzel is a poorly boy "UPDATE."
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 12:28 »
so glad you are able to administer his injections ok and that he is recovering  :)

xx
Update to "Chook with prolapse"

Started by littlewitch on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 18, 2010, 11:30
by littlewitch
xx
bum feathers (see also "lucky update")

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 19:26
by ceri green
xx
Chicken ailment - leghorns appear "drunk" and cannot stand

Started by Envirogal on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 15:58
by compostqueen
xx
Making home-made "peck-blocks"

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 23:26
by hardygeranium

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 35 queries.