Another hen with a wonky head like Oliveview's Emu

• 3 Replies

chick

Another hen with a wonky head like Oliveview's Emu
« on: February 18, 2010, 09:26 »
Hi,

I'm relatively new to this space but was curious about Oliveview's chicken with a wonky neck as I had just come on to ask some advice as I have a chicken with a wonky neck that I'm really worried about.

To begin with as I'm relatively new to chicken keeping too; I thought it was that she could only see out of one eye and so I thought she was tilting her head to see properly, but now it seems to have got more serious; what seems to happen is her neck goes into spasm and her head goes the wrong way up (upside down with her neck flopped) and she falls over at which point the other chickens all begin to peck her.

Once I've got her upright and held her until the spasms stopped she seems fine. She's always held herself away from the rest of the group and generally they leave her alone she joins in with them happily if I give them a treat like meal worms or something and scrats around. I don't know if she has a trapped nerve or if I've been given duff chickens from the person I bought them from.

They were all supposed to be point of lay Rhode Island Reds. They are Rhode Island Reds, but I think I've been given a bunch of oldies with a couple of youngies thrown in as one died within a week of me having them.... I think they saw me coming!!

Any idea whats up with my chicken? Is it the same problem as Emu's?  :(
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:38 by Aunt Sally »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Another hen with a wonky head like Oliveview's Emu
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:36 »
I've split this off and paragraphed it for you to make it easier to read chick.  You should get a better response in a topic of your own.

Oliveview

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:24 »
Hi Chick,
Our hen (Emu) just tips her head right back over her back and looks at us upside down- no falling over.  When she drinks she does the same and the water pours over her back.  I spoke to the man where we got her from, he said she had brain damage.
She is a Rhode Island Red too.
Pamela

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 12:00 »
It doesn't really sound like Olive's hen and although I'm no expert it sounds very worrying. Has she been vaccinated against Merek's which can present with neurological symptoms?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
Emu- my hen with the wonky head- UPDATE

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 20, 2010, 10:33
by raeburg
xx
Araucana with a wonky head???? Help please

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 19:30
by Bess
xx
wonky duck

Started by tesni on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 14:14
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Wonky Duckling - help please!!

Started by kirstie1978 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 12:18
by kirstie1978

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 34 queries.