Think my new chicken is poorly with worms - what to do

• 5 Replies

HelenMckenzie

• Our Dolly & Ginger
Think my new chicken is poorly with worms - what to do
« on: October 25, 2011, 22:00 »
Hi,
I'm very new to this chicken lark, we had a random chook turn up in our garden a week & half ago, we couldn't find the owner so decided to keep it and brought her a friend on sunday!  We took the chook that arrived in our garden with us so they might be able to tell us what she is, they didn't know the exact breed but said she was a black pure breed bantam, approx 2 years old. they also said that she might have worms as she has a bit of a mucky bottom.

I went to my local pet shop and asked for worming stuff for chickens, they gave me something called verm-x.  I have been giving this to them for about 3 days now, but am worried the old chicken that probably has worms isn't getting the treatment as I soak bread in it then give it to them, they have a bowl each, but they don't seem to be that fussed with it (it smells really strong and rancid !!!).  What I didn't realize is this is a herbal remidy and im not sure how effective it is.

I have noticed on clearing out the choop each day of and another covered enclosure they have from droppings that hers are quite runny and messy now and today she just didn't seem herself at all, she wasn't even that fussed on her mealworms which she normally goes mental for.

I have just ordered some flubenvet, which wont arrive for 3-5 working days and am very worried that if she has got worms the infestation might be bad it could be fatal for her.......

If she is still ok by the time the flubenvet arrives i'm very unsure how to administer it as we use layered pellets and they say you should mix it with their daily feed (we just leave feed in a feeder, we dont have a daily amount.......????

Any advice would be very welcome as I am quite worried  :(

Sassy

Re: Think my new chicken is poorly with worms - what to do
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 08:32 »
You have done the right thing ordering Flubenvet. Put 'Flubenvet' or 'worms' into the search and you will get plenty of advice including how to mix it with pellets. Good luck and well done for taking the chook on and getting her a friend. I'm sure it will be worth it. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 10:15 »
If she still seems a bit poorly after worming with flubenvet for a week pop her to the vets for some antibiotics to settle her tum down.

kegs

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 11:53 »
Or if you can find someone local to you who stocks it, you can buy Marriages feeds with it already mixed in, so you could start feeding her straight away.

http://www.marriagefeeds.co.uk/?s=flubenvet

HelenMckenzie

• Our Dolly & Ginger
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:09 »
Hi kegs, gutted I read this 24 hours to late, as I ordered my flubenvet on tuesday night, as this stuff sounds much easier then mixing the power in the pellets is going to be and there is a supplier just near my dad in windsor, typical!!!  thanks though, will def keep it in mind for next time when I need more :o)

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 12:34 »
Mixing the Flubenvet is quite simple. The instructions are easy to follow  :)

xx
We have worms :0( please help, what to feed my poorly girl

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 13:37
by rosie14
xx
Chicken with bad worms?

Started by Chicken Lickin on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 18:32
by bantam novice
xx
HELP! URGENT! VERY ILL CHICKEN! - WORMS?

Started by jesschocolate28 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 14:17
by HarperHen
xx
Chicken worms and composting

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 11:36
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 39 queries.