Really ?

• 4 Replies

caroline or

Really ?
« on: July 24, 2011, 11:42 »
Hi all,

After a really awful few weeks that have resulted in us having one chook put to sleep and one dropping down dead ,leaving us with just two girls.we have had the sad sad news that my lovely calder ranger has a large tumor and in a couple of weeks she will join the others in The coup in the sky !!!

Leaving one girl all by her self.I phoned the breeder where we got them all from 3 and half years ago for some advise it seems sad and unfair to leave her lonely.He said that all we need to do is wait until our last girl in in bed and put the new girls in with her!! He said she will be top of the pecking order.

What would you all do ....?? Thanks

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
Re: Really ?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:57 »
I agree with the breeder. There are people that say you need to keep them separate for a couple of weeks to make sure the new ones don't have anything wrong with them though.

We have introduced new ones twice. The first time we did keep them in a neighboring run where they could see each other for a couple of weeks, but when we did introduce them it was mayhem, and we had to separate them again. It took months to integrate them.

The 2nd time we just waited until the old ones had gone to roost, then opened the roof and placed the 3 new ones in with them. They didn't even notice until the following morning when they seemed amazed that these new girls came out of their house! There was still some pecking and the usual establishing of the pecking order, but no blood drawn, and it too less than 2 weeks fr them to all be at ease with each other.

As you will only have 1 to introduce new ones to, she won't be able to bully them all, but she will be the top hen and may boss the new ones around a bit.

Just make sure they have more than 1 food and water source so they can't be kept away from it, and that they have somewhere to run to (my new ones hid under the hen house when they were chased).

I am really sorry about your calder ranger, but good luck with the new ones.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 16:33 »
So sorry to hear about your Calder  :(

As Caroline says, the reason for keeping new hens separate for the first two weeks is in case they develop any infections or diseases that could infect your flock.  However you may feel that as you will only have the one hen left they might as well integrate straight away.  Hens are flock animals and need company.

Good luck and keep us posted  :) and don't forget the pics  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

caroline or

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 09:50 »
Sadly Elsie the calder was put to sleep Tues morning :( Leaving poor Tallula all alone....But the great news is that we picked up 4 new girls yesterday including a new calder and a skyline ( Elsie,Hermione,Verity,Eliza) We did as the breeder advised and put them into bed in the pitch dark with Tallula ,and so far all is well and calm !  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 19:01 »
and where are the photos
Staffies are softer than you think.

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 40 queries.