Green chillis

• 10 Replies

Raven81

Green chillis
« on: August 07, 2012, 09:25 »
I'm not entitrely sure which section this should be in!  :wacko:

Mr Raven loves making curries and has decided to grow some green chillis  - only thing is, he can't find any seeds anywhere (only for red ones).  He then decided that if we buy some green chillis from the shop and dry them in the sun we will be able to store them for longer and maybe plant some of the seeds.

This was the theory anyway.  We now have a nice string of chillis that are almost completely red  :ohmy:!  I didn't think they were supposed to continue to ripen after being picked.

So can any of you lovely people tell me - are they supposed to turn red?  and can we buy seeds for the green ones? 
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Green chillis
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:52 »
Green chillies are unripe versions of red ones and they will continue to ripen off the plant, just like tomatoes.

The only way I can think of to dry them green would be to do it in a very low oven so they dry more quickly, but don't know if the colour would change.  It does a bit when you dry them in a dehydrator  :unsure:

I did make some preserved red chillies last year by finely chopping them, putting them in small sterlized jars and pouring over a hot vinegar/sugar mix which was 8oz sugar boiled with 1 pint white malt vinegar.  The vinegar comes in 568ml bottles, which is a pint.  I keep the jars in the fridge once opened. On my last one now and they are still full of the fresh chilli taste  :)  I did this with home grown scotch bonnet chillies, hence the sugar to moderate the heat a little.  You could just use hot vinegar  :)

Raven81

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:56 »
Thank you so much Newshoot.  :D

We shall try one of your other suggestions.  :D

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:36 »
I grew Menorca last year and they stayed green. I froze them and am still using them  :)

Raven81

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 12:53 »
Mr Raven has another question:  When the chillis change from green to red does this affect the flavour?   :wacko:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 13:01 »
I think it does - same as sweet peppers.  Green chilli has a fresher more vegetable taste, whereas the fully ripe ones develop the full flavour of the chilli, which can be quite complex depending on the variety  :)

Raven81

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 18:52 »
Thank you so much.  I really appreciate it.   :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 19:07 »
This is a good link someone put on here - this lot sell all sorts of chillies and give some good info on heat levels and uses  :)  They have a special Curry Chilli if you scroll down the page.

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/hot_chili_pepper_seed.htm

Chillies are so easy to grow and there are so many to try.  This year I'm growing Ancho (chocolate chilli) and Lemon Drop (hot), which are new to me.  Also Pretty in Purple (hot) which dry beautifully and are perfect for crumbling into dishes.  These are very fragrant and almost fruity smelling when you open the jar  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 12:07 »
I love Lemon Drop! A good, warm to hot chilli that is so prolific it's unbelievable  :D  Fruity and lemony so live up to their name. Good with rice dishes I think.  I froze loads and they keep their colour beautifully. I dried some too but they go a manky colour then

Thinking back to green chillies, I grew Elephants Trunks and they stayed green too

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 20:38 »
I love Lemon Drop! A good, warm to hot chilli that is so prolific it's unbelievable  :D  Fruity and lemony so live up to their name. Good with rice dishes I think.  I froze loads and they keep their colour beautifully. I dried some too but they go a manky colour then

Thank you for the info - will save the drying for the Pretty in Purple  :)

chrissie B

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 08:24 »
just tryed one of our chillies yesterday and boy was it hot
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

clip
Chillis, and what to do with them...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 02, 2022, 05:33
by Growster...
xx
drying Chillis

Started by SAMANTHA MOLLY on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post December 04, 2012, 18:04
by sunshineband
xx
Pickling Chillis

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 16:15
by Elcie
xx
Storing chillis

Started by cudders on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post January 29, 2009, 09:19
by mrsdirtyboots

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 39 queries.