Its seem on of my hens attacks the rest

• 3 Replies

Bootzie

Its seem on of my hens attacks the rest
« on: June 13, 2012, 15:54 »
In  the last 24 hours we have one of our hens egg bound, and the others have attacked the poor girl making her bleed, then she prolapsed.

The hens has been seen by the vet and checked over and given anti-biotic's and pain relief.
We then separated her from the rest under advice of the vet.

Now the what we think is the boss hen is going for the other hens' bottom making her bleed.

Is there a reason why one hen is attacking the others, and can we stop it.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
Re: Its seem on of my hens attacks the rest
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 19:48 »
I'm a bit confused - is your prolapsed hen still with the attacking one, not separated?

Hens will attack other poorly ones particularly, as they would naturally be ejected from the flock as a threat because too weak.

You can spray gentian violet on a red patch to disguise it as hens are drawn to attacking red areas.

If your attacking hen is a consistent bully you can fit a beak bit to stop her being able to fully close her beak - but it is a last resort in my opinion.

Bootzie

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 20:01 »
No the prolapsed hen is separated. The Bully hen seems to attack the other. (We have Three) I seem to think its hen pecking, and the bullier is attacking for supremacy. We have recently moved them to new static Run and Coop and it maybe it is trying to find her feet to be boss of the Run.

The poorly hen is on constant watch at the moment and is getting full run of the garden, and is to be put with the others during roosting time, inside a cat carrier to protect her. It has only been 24 hours since we found her sick. So introducing them is too early, we have been told by the vet to wait until after last check up on friday before we put them together.

They have a Good 5sqm Run and loads of space for the weak ones to hide.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 08:41 »
If when you put them back together it is still a problem you should try removing the bully for a couple of weeks, keeping her within sight of the others, then when she goes back she will be bottom of the pack :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Joining the rest- what age is best?

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 08:46
by Casey76
xx
Our Punk Chicken (and the rest)

Started by westie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 23:10
by peggyprice
xx
First egg hatched - how do much time do the rest have ?

Started by Madclucker on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 13:30
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Is my girl just having a rest? (Egg frequency)

Started by Wheelchair Gardener on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 12:25
by sminky

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 39 queries.