Repecka has a Cold

• 4 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Repecka has a Cold
« on: June 13, 2012, 08:58 »
It took three years, but alas, one of my hens woke up this morning sneezing and is very chesty.  I chopped up a tomato for her (vitamin D and anti-toxants), read about what to do in four books.  Some say that it will go off on its own, others say take her to the vet.  Any suggestions?
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Repecka has a Cold
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 10:00 »
vets asap, chickens do not catch colds like we do but they do get respiratory infections and these can be very contagious so you will need antibiotics to treat all of them. You also need to ask the vet how long you will have to throw the eggs away for as different antibiotics have differing withdrawal periods.
Staffies are softer than you think.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 18:21 »
Thank you, Joyful.  My old girls don't lay eggs any more.  I'm going to call the vet then.  I came back shopping today with an armful of all the natural things I know to give a hen to peak her interest, help immune system, etc.  Everything from a small tub of live yoghurt, to a head of cauliflower, a beet, and I mixed some Flubovent into her favourite seed and she inhaled it.  She's been out most of the day digging, dust bathing and eating.  Her eyes are clear and her nostrils.  It's that horrible bubbly raspy sound she is making that scares me.  I just noticed before supper that another one of my hens is sneezing.  Sigh.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 09:59 »
 :)  Hi!  I just had to give you all an update.  I dosed my hens with Flubenvet yesterday afternoon and Repecka was back to her old self by bed time.  Which tells me that it was worms in her lungs, NOT A COLD.  I am going to continue to dose them for another six days.  She was on top of the hen house pecking on our bedroom window last night to let us know!  So happy and relieved.  Never thought it was worms.   :wub:

jhub

• jane
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 11:53 »
What a relief for you and thanks for the update.

xx
Repecka has Diahrea

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 18:04
by LittleRedHen
xx
Repecka Died This Morning

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 06:18
by sneezer
xx
is it more than a cold?

Started by dalesman on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2008, 16:46
by Aunt Sally
xx
can a hen get a cold?

Started by coco on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 12:19
by coco

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 34 queries.