Oh you bad dogs

• 10 Replies

mrs bouquet

Oh you bad dogs
« on: March 17, 2019, 16:58 »
 I have a friend who lives close by, and she has one very large ex-racer greyhound, and one very big whippet.

She is in her fifties, and never been married, and the dogs own the House, and my friend just happens to live there as well.  (yes, she is a bit balmy  ;), but I love her to bits)
Freddie, the greyhound ate through her very expensive wooden slat blind, it was new, so she replace it.!  This week, he has completely trashed it again, and the one in her bedroom.   Also, he took the medium size new bottle of salmon oil off the worktop, and went onto her bed, whereupon, all the oil came out all over the bed.    She has had to throw all the bedding out completely, and today we have had to go out to buy a new mattress,   price  £1,800 pounds, yes, this is not a typo.

Oh dear, she said, I think I had better keep the bedroom door shut from now on, except at night time when they both sleep on the bed.  Freddie on it, Polly under the duvet.

What price for the love of your animals  :lol: :lol:  (told you she is mad).   Mrs Bouquet

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 17:01 by mrs bouquet »
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

grinling

Re: Oh you bad dogs
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 20:56 »
Oh dear, giving the dogs chew toys might help. Also it might have a problem with its teeth.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 10:51 »
She has them to the vet at least once a month for anything and nothing  :D  She and I buy them toys, chewys, all those sort of things,  I also get them large marrow bones, the knuckly end, which they take on the bed !!!
Maybe Freddie,coming from racing kennels, just thinks he can now do what he likes with no sort of competition, and she lets him  :ohmy:  Mrs Bouquet

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 13:07 »
It’s your friend that needs looking at lol, those dogs need to be crated, do they get enough exercise?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 16:57 »
She takes them out twice daily, and twice a week, she drives 15 miles each way, to a doggie fenced in paddock with security etc,  she has to book it so that there is only one owner there at a time.   ££ I dare not think !!    Freddie is really big and she could not crate him.  I personally would build a kennel and run in the garden, for when she is not there.   Polly, is no trouble, she gets under her blankets and never makes a peep.
These dogs are her babies, that is one of the problems - thank goodness, they are not children  -  can you imagine.  :ohmy:
You are quite right, she is definitely a bit dog balmy.  She has issues walking with Polly, who is very strong and as soon as she sees another dog she barks, pulls and goes loopy.  I suspect that is why she was rehoused.  I have suggested she contact the man on TV who sorts doggy probs out.   The problems are always down to the owner.  I think that is why she won't seek or accept help, because she knows it is all her own fault.    I still love her to bits though, and I love the dogs as well, but I am glad they are not mine  :lol:  Mrs Bouquet.  I think she has got more money than sense. :wacko: :wacko:

al78

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 23:26 »
These dogs are her babies, that is one of the problems - thank goodness, they are not children  -  can you imagine.  :ohmy:

That doesn't sound healthy. I'm not a dog person but I have learnt that dogs are pack animals, and need a sense of heirachy with an alpha in charge, that alpha is supposed to be the owner. If the dog gets the idea that it is the dominant one, you can start having issues with the dog defying its owner, maybe even biting snapping at any attempt to be restrained. Dogs are not babies.

I think that is why she won't seek or accept help, because she knows it is all her own fault.

Oh dear. Denying the truth or hiding from the truth doesn't change the truth. It takes a strong character to face up to your limitations and seek help, but ultimately you will be respected more if you can own your weaknesses and address them.

grinling

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 11:46 »
Greyhound do not need much walks, but could do being taught to drop on command as well as leave it and wait. The dog guy on tv has had a lot of bad press due to his methods. Discipline requires the owner doing the same thing all the time.
A good trainer would help with leave it and drop as well as teaching the owner to prevent the dog barking on walks.
Cookie will bark at other dogs and people she knows to say hello, but if she pulls I stop.
I would never crate an exgreyhound as that would be cruel

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 12:37 »
You are all so right.  I used to breed and show Great Danes and Standard Poodles, and unil recently have always had dogs.   You know and I know where she should be coming from with this issue and I completely agree with you all.   But how to nicely say to my friend, actually the way you and they are behaving is absolutely c--p.  I just think it is so unfair on the dogs, but she thinks its wonderful.   What more can I say.

It is interesting though to listen to your comments, just to assure myself that my thoughts are correct  :D  Mrs Bouquet

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 17:06 »
Personally I think crating any dog is disgusting and too easy for people to use it as an out of sight out of mind tool. Yuk. Horrible.

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 17:42 »
Personally I think crating any dog is disgusting and too easy for people to use it as an out of sight out of mind tool. Yuk. Horrible.

Yes I can see that, but if used as intended the dogs soon see at as there own private space & readily go to it. My sister crated her English bull terriers as pups & that’s how they used it. In the end she never shut the door.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 13:01 »
The only place I personally would crate a dog is in the car, or else securely strap into the seat belt, and then only in the back.   Mrs Bouquet

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.