alicemandy

eggs
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:31 »
why are some eggs brown and some white

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:34 »
different breeds of chicken, some lay blue, green, pink, even purple eggs!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 14:09 »
Could also be down to things like stress, Daisey laid brown eggs, when I swapped the food to Dobson&Horrell, they went white for about two weeks then back to brown  ???
This is the reply I received from them....
Thank you for your e-mail requesting information concerning Dodson & Horrell Layers Pellets.

Egg shell color is caused by pigment deposition during egg formation in the oviduct. This will vary according to species and breed. There is no significant link between colour and nutritional value.

I am unable to explain why your birds are producing  white eggs when they are normally brown.

My understanding is that the egg shell colour is determined by the breed of Bird. It is unlikely to be related to diet, particularly if you are feeding a fully balanced ration such as Layers Pellets.

If you are not satisfied with  Dodson and Horrell Layers Pellets please do contact me again with your concerns.

Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 21:36 »
I've also heard that hens that lay very dark eggs lay paler and paler eggs as they get older.  Apparently they "run out of" the pigment needed to make the eggs dark.

Sometimes it also happens during their annual laying cycle.  The hen lays dark eggs to start, then they get lighter as time goes on, then the hen moults, has a rest, and recharges her system.  When she starts laying again her eggs are dark again.

Jae Dawn

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 13:57 »
  I am new with chickens my first chickens I got in August and one of the three (only hen) started to lay a few weeks ago.  I notice if I get there real early not only is the egg a bit warm it is a bit pink caste to it.  Then later it slowly changes to a more white.  Either this is normal???  I'm a bit colour blind???? Or I have a strange strange Polish hen????

Anyone care to let me know???  :lol:

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 15:03 »
Jae Dawn, some of mine do the same - especially in the cold weather we had lately. I have picked newly laid eggs from the nest box and they have a pale, chalky look to them. However, if you hold them in the palm of your hand for five minutes they return back to their normal colour. You can even draw patterns on them- which I've done! Sad isn't it!!!

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 15:59 »
Joy, Any idea which hens lay purple eggs?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 17:12 »
The croad langsham can lay an egg with a plummy bloom to it - it depends on the breeding as to how plummy and I believe the large fowl are better than the bantam.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
First eggs

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 07:36
by Casey76
xx
too many eggs

Started by Dawnuss on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2013, 13:32
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Two eggs

Started by chuckmad on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 14:15
by chuckmad
xx
First Eggs

Started by Chicken_Lover on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 18:23
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 36 queries.