Oh Beehave!

• 153 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Oh Beehave!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 12:13 »
Sorry not posted earlier, have been busy getting everything set up.

Have joined the BBKA which as Snoozisuzi says has loads of fab information and membership has loads of advantages.

Have taken some pics of the set up and will try and get them up. The bees are due hopefully at the end of the week.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 12:24 »
I forgot to take a picture before we started but you can get an idea from this one. The hives are going to go on the overgrown, covered in debris area behind the raised bed.

I cleared the area which is actually quite big (about 5m by 2m).

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 12:29 »
We then surrounded it with willow screening which makes the bees fly up so that they should not be a nuisence to anyone nearby and to me in the garden! Still need to finish the front in the first pic.

and from the side

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 15:39 »
Thanks for the pictures and information.

I'm slowly learning more about the general idea of keeping bees.  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 22:02 »
wow! good job done there Kate :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 16:00 »
We have also lined the lower half with light brown coloured weed suppressant fabric for security purposes as you can see from the pic above you can see through a bit. I am a little paranoid about kids seeing what is in there are having a nose about. With the lining it is impossible to see through at the level the hive will be at. Paranoid probably but I think out of sight out of mind is probably for the best!

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 01:15 »
I can see why you are excited..... It'll be fantastic watching the bees going in and out.

Playing safe makes a great deal of sense.... keeping the bee hive safe as well as the children. Some of them just don't have the imagination to make them stop and think!  :(

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 18:59 »
Run, check...

smoker, check...

hive tool, check..

We are B minus 30 and counting!

Well the bees should be here within the hour!!!

Quite excited and looking forward to donning the beesuit for the first time in ernest.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 21:45 »
How did it go with hiving them Kate?  it's exciting isn't it  :happy:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 22:16 »
Well it was very exciting!

They were amazingly well behaved given they  had had quite a journey all cramped together in the car.
We got the hive into the run and unstuck the hive and they were very glad to get out for a breath of fresh air. Have been very lucky to get a full colony with a couple of frames of stores and the rest of brood.

Here is the hive when it first arrived.

When they were first let out.

Out for a breath of fresh air.

Got a bit worried that they seem to be liking the outdoors a bit too much but they now have a second brood body on top and a super and have all gone inside.

Paul Plots

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 22:42 »
Wow... I bet that was a worrying first few moments!  :ohmy:

The hive looks great - pleased to hear they went in for a cuppa after the long journey and stretching their legs. I expect one or two will be out for a scout around tomorrow.

Do you have to provide food for them until they have worked out where the nearest super-market nectar source is or have they enough in their stores?

(Excuse the daft questions.  :blush: )

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 00:46 »
wow!  what a lot of bees to start off with!  :lol:

One thing though; you say that you have put a second brood chamber and a super on today:  do they completely take up all of the brood chamber in the picture yet or are there still some undrawn frames in there?

I ask because bees don't like it when you give them too much to do all at once and they might not draw out the new foundation in the second bc or in the super.  Perhaps just put the super on if the weather turns nice again, although we are due for some serious rain over the next week so there won't be much foraging to do for them to start filling it.

The second bc will be very useful to allow you to change the comb over when there's not a honey flow on... June would be good to do this in and that way you can change them onto clean comb which will help to reduce disease and makes your job as a beekeeper easier because you will be able to see the eggs in the clean white cells, as opposed to old brown wax which is hard to see anything on!

You also may need to get a feeder to feed them sugar syrup - it's amazing how quickly that many bees could go through the honey in the stores and if the weather is as bad as they say it will be then all they will want to do is stay home and clean house!

I'm not the worlds best beekeeper but these are things that I learned the hard way last year when I first got mine.  The other thing is, if you ask 3 beekeepers how to do things you'll get 5 different answers so see what works best for you and good luck!  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 07:59 »
Thanks for that Snoozisuzi, happy for all the help I can get. The first bc is pretty much packed with brood although there was a couple of stores and not any undrawn frames. Luckally mum is with me and she has been keeping bees for a while (and my grandad did too, amazing how little I know for a third generation beekeeper!). She though they needed a bit more room as they seemed crowded and these bees have been very prolific this year which is why they've ended up with so many colonies.

I've been out to watch them this morning and they all seem to be flying around, exploring happily. Very pleased that the majority are heading over our property and that they don't seem to be interested in the neighbours direction. Don't want to cause anyone else any problems  :unsure:

They have some stores to keep them going while they find the lay of the land and where they can get their own. This morning they are hopefully finding the local park and all the trees in blossom along the road which will keep them going for a while.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 09:32 by Kate and her Ducks »

Paul Plots

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 19:26 »

They have some stores to keep them going while they find the lay of the land and where they can get their own. This morning they are hopefully finding the local park and all the trees in blossom along the road which will keep them going for a while.

They will do everyones runner beans the world of good later on. I hope you are putting some in near by.  ;)

darren64

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 20:31 »
looking good,but can I suggest lifting the hive higher off the ground,believe me you will appreciate it,bending down and lifting heavy boxes of honey gets your back.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 38 queries.