Strawberry Plant & Vine Weevils

• 8 Replies

jamesk34

• Plough Your Own Furrow
Strawberry Plant & Vine Weevils
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:57 »
I dug out some 3 year old strawberry plants yesterday and found vine weevil in the soil. The plants had shown no signs of being ill and the yield last season was great. I tried to remove all of the beasties from the soil but will probably have missed some.

I done a search on the forum and there was a post last year where a poster said that they used provado vine weevil killer but checked and this is only for ornamental plants in containers. With this in mind does anyone have any personal experience on the effectiveness and cost on using biological controls. My strawberry patch is 1.5m x 6m.

many thanks

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
Re: Strawberry Plant & Vine Weevils
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:21 »
My friend had the same problem and used the nematode vine weevil killer and she said it worked a treat. 

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 14:45 »
Yes I`ve  used nemotode and it worked ,but you will have to wait for the soil temperture to warm up  a bit.  I`ve also used the slug one on potatoes with sucess .
bazial

jamesk34

• Plough Your Own Furrow
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 15:24 »
thanks guys for the replies. Was just checking on the internet and it is £7.50 for the nematodes and that covers 12m squared and suggests 2 applications for heavily infested site one in spring and other in autumn. This means that I require 2 boxes of the nematodes as my plot is 1.5m x 6m. The money soon adds up  :(

gobs

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 20:06 »
thanks guys for the replies. Was just checking on the internet and it is £7.50 for the nematodes and that covers 12m squared and suggests 2 applications for heavily infested site one in spring and other in autumn. This means that I require 2 boxes of the nematodes as my plot is 1.5m x 6m. The money soon adds up  :(

Just for not wasting your money:

1. Are you sure you have them, ie, some white grubs we are talking?
2. Can't you move them, as they need moving every 3 years anyway?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

jamesk34

• Plough Your Own Furrow
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 20:16 »

Just for not wasting your money:

1. Are you sure you have them, ie, some white grubs we are talking?
2. Can't you move them, as they need moving every 3 years anyway?

Yes definitely have the vine weevil grubs. Little white grubs with brown head shaped like letter "c". I can move the plants but just worried that the adult ones will crawl over the plot onto the next area where I have moved the plants.  might just try to nematodes to get rid of them

gobs

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 20:45 »
The 'adults' won't move anywhere if the grubs do not survive. Clear the area of any possible food source.

trampyjoe

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 20:52 »
Just want to jump in here with a question as I have alot of strawberry plants that will need moving at some point:

What can be grown in the soil that the strawbs were in if vine weevils are present? or is it a case that they need getting rid off completely before anything can go in?

gobs

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 20:55 »
I think from the top of my head, the letter one. However, this should happen by late spring, if they have near nought to eat.

xx
Vine weevils, again

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2014, 16:19
by rosiecider
xx
Vine Weevils

Started by Tigerhair on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 07:48
by savbo
xx
Cockchafers! (or Vine Weevils actually!)

Started by Faz on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 18, 2009, 11:22
by pete
xx
vine weevils in my carrots

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 09:13
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 38 queries.